WII Fitness

Options
Does anyone have the WII Fitness DVD and would you recommend it for working out?

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I have the wii plus and I would diffinately reccommend it for working out especially for beginners. If you want a super intense workout probably not. But it is alot of fun and can diffinately work up a sweat. But depends on which ones you do also .
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been combining Wii Fit Plus and walking. I work with the Wii Fit every day and I walk at least 5-6 days a week and it is doing great for me. The boxing, dancing, free step and free run are the best calorie burners but you will burn calories on everything you do. It is neat to be able to play and lose weight at the same time!! My next purchase will be the EA Sports Active DVD. I've heard good things about that one. Also the Gold's Gym!
  • kitty55016
    Options
    Is this the one with the board? Do you know if there are more DVD's out there besides this one. Please tell me more about the workout, and thanks for your feedback.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    The Just Dance game is a good workout and it is fun.

They also have a game called Walk It Out....it is a walk in place fitness game.

I also have Don King Boxing that really works your upper body.
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    i love it! you can weigh yourself check your bmi workout do yoga it has a mini personal trainer. lots of fun
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    the wii fit board, and wii fit plus, are fun, but are more for yoga kinda stuff. still fun, and some stuff still gives you a work out like boxing and hula hoops. but you can't really run and jump.
    I got the MY Shape for the wii. its a camera, and you see yourself on tv. you follow work out, and it yells at you if your arms aren't high enough etc. plus you can add stuff like stepper, balance ball, weights, etc to increase your work out once you get further along. you can also choice different body parts to work, or just chose weight loss. its lots of fun, but it also keeps you focused, and moving constantly. and it tells you how many calories burned. I love the my shape for the wii, and it's come down in price. I think its only $29 now. and that includes the game, and the camera.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I borrowed the Wii Fit (the original, not the Plus or anything) from a friend who wasn't using it anymore. It has a balance board and will not work without it.

The scale part is NOT accurate on carpet, but seems to be accurate on a hard floor. The activities will work fine on carpet.

It starts the day with a Body Test that takes your weight but shows it as a BMI measurement. If the family is in the room, they won't see your weight unless you choose to display it. It tests your balance and tells you how you did, then lets you chose to go about your day or do some Body Training.

Training comes in categories. Yoga, Aerobics, Strength, and Balance.

The yoga is very simple poses that you don't hold for long, but it does work muscles you didn't know you had. It's a good way to stretch.

The aerobics section is pretty limited. There's step aerobics (my favorite), running (in place), hula hoop, and boxing.

The strength training is floor exercise using your own body as resistence.

The balance section is games that you play with your full body. My husband and daughter love those.

The MFP database has very limited options for recording Wii Fit activites, and seems to have really low calorie estimates. If I had the disposable income, I'd want a HRM to get an accurate calorie count. As it is, I went to about a dozen websites and found some complicated algebraic formulas to help me estimate my expenditure.

I think it's a Wonderful tool for a beginner. Walking up the stairs or going to get the mail used to be about the most exercise I'd get, and I'd avoid doing either as much as possible. There's no way I'd go into a gym like this. I think the Wii Fit will help get me to a place where I'm comfortable joining a gym, but I doubt it will serve me as a weight loss tool on its own for more than a few months. One of the upgrades might be a good idea for me soon.

I do work up a good sweat. I do the Free Step every day, which uses the balance board to record your steps and uses the Wiimote to give you a beat but lets you change channels so you can watch tv while you step. I use my mp3 player instead and follow the beat of my own music. it sets the beat at 800 steps in 10 minutes , which is 2400 steps in 30 minutes, but by following my own beat, I routinely get 3200-3400 steps in 30 minutes. I also use hand weights to make it a little more intense.
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wii and no Ballance board "the biggest loser" game is awesome and you can use a ballance board or not, it gives you the option.