Meat in the Food Search

Options
Are the serving sizes for the meat in the Food Database raw or cooked weights? I see that some are called out as cooked weight. For instance, 4oz hamburger, is that before or after cooking?

Also, some items are listed twice, is there a particular naming structure I should look for that is more accurate?

Or am I over thinking this....

Replies

• oaks4
    oaks4 Posts: 7
    Options
    This is the one that got me questioning what I'm putting in for my intake. These are two separate items, not the same one put in twice with different serving sizes. I'm not worried about the variation in the veg and fruit, because there are not many calories associated with those foods.

Hy-vee - Pork Loin Country Style Ribs, 3 oz cooked 210 0 15 18 290 0 
    Hy-Vee - Pork Loin Country Style Ribs, 3 oz. 143 0 9 15 210 0

I would think the calories would go down after you cook something after some of the fat drains off.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Are the serving sizes for the meat in the Food Database raw or cooked weights? I see that some are called out as cooked weight. For instance, 4oz hamburger, is that before or after cooking?

Also, some items are listed twice, is there a particular naming structure I should look for that is more accurate?

Or am I over thinking this....

1) in almost all cases, it's raw unless otherwise stated
    2) items WITHOUT an * asterisk are the "MFP sanctioned" entries; all entries WITH an * asterisk are user-entered and can be quite subjective so you have to be much more careful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    meat is generally weighed raw. also, for most accuracy type in whatever meat and USDA after it. Example, "Sirloin Steak USDA"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are both entries. Weigh raw if possible, otherwise find a 'cooked' entry and use that (it's what I have to use most of the time).
  • oaks4
    oaks4 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I almost always used the cooked entry since I am cooking for the whole family so I weigh my portion after the dish is done. There are some USDA entries for cooked meat as well. I always try to use them when possible.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I always weigh raw for better accuracy - cooked meat weight can vary massively depending on cooking method and time. I always try and use the MFP entries, not member entries as these can vary a lot and be inaccurate.