Real appetite suppressant supplement?

Options
Hey y'all, please don't dismiss this as someone else hoping for justification for being a sucker looking for a "miracle pill."

I am wondering if there is any supplement I can take that will legitimately help control my appetite. I'm NOT looking for a miracle pill that will let me eat junk and still lose weight :P I am giving it my best shot, controlling what I eat, when, and how much ... But I seriously get intensely hungry between meals. I get that feeling hungry is part of the deal, but was wondering if there's anything I can take that will make this a bit easier.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat plenty if fat. Fat in my diet provides satiety and stops me from overeating.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    For me it's a balance between protein and fiber. If I don't get an adequate amount of both I find myself hungry when I "shouldn't" be. That and plenty of water does the trick for me, no spendy supplement required.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My Dr. prescribed phentermine, it works great but you really need to have your Dr. monitoring it, and need to go off of it every few months for a month for it to continue being effective. Most days I have to force myself to eat to get enough calories!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Agree w/the other poster, make sure you're getting enough protein, water, & fiber. I'd also recommend adjusting your diet so you get a mid morning, mid-afternoon, & maybe an after dinner snack. But something I just discovered recently is vinegar. Went to a store that sells the flavor infused olive oils & vinegars. The lady sells it not only for cooking, but for health reasons. She said that if you sip a ounce (2 tblsp) of vinegar when you feel hungry, that it seems to kill that hunger. For some reason I always seem to get hungry after dinner, so last night I tried the vinegar w/a peach vinegar I'd bought there. It really worked, my hunger went away, I felt satisfied. I even think that 1 tblsp would be enough. But I'd recommend getting the flavored ones, they're sooo much tastier. Here's one of those stores in your home town...

https://bvoliveoil.com/AboutUs.html
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Agree w/the other poster, make sure you're getting enough protein, water, & fiber. I'd also recommend adjusting your diet so you get a mid morning, mid-afternoon, & maybe an after dinner snack. But something I just discovered recently is vinegar. Went to a store that sells the flavor infused olive oils & vinegars. The lady sells it not only for cooking, but for health reasons. She said that if you sip a ounce (2 tblsp) of vinegar when you feel hungry, that it seems to kill that hunger. For some reason I always seem to get hungry after dinner, so last night I tried the vinegar w/a peach vinegar I'd bought there. It really worked, my hunger went away, I felt satisfied. I even think that 1 tblsp would be enough. But I'd recommend getting the flavored ones, they're sooo much tastier. Here's one of those stores in your home town...

https://bvoliveoil.com/AboutUs.html

I've heard of the vinegar idea before and haven't given it much thought. I personally can't stand vinegar so I won't be trying it myself! But I do want to caution you - straight vinegar will eat the enamel off your teeth in no time if you're just sipping it out of a glass. At the very, very least, use a straw to keep as much off your teeth as possible. Even better, dilute in water AND use a straw. EVEN BETTER, take it in pill form, if you must. My FIL tells me dentures are really expensive.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I don't get enough fat I my diet I begin to crave food even when I've has enough cals. Many times the craving is carbs with a high fat content like fries or donuts. As long as I keep my fat at at least .4g per lb of bodie weight I am good.
  • Ali590mfp
    Options
    I love Cellucor Super HD. It really works for appetite suppression.
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    where do you get cellucor super hd
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate juice worked for me, and if food can work then why should it be so impossible for a supplement?

I found this off of Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Ketones-Capsules-Appetite-Suppressant/dp/B005DO1JJ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389458306&sr=8-2&keywords=raspberry+ketones

Heck, actually trying it is pretty much the only way for you to know if it works for you. If it doesnt then your out money, if it does then congrats.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh. :noway:
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is one. I noticed when I got plenty of fat, cut sugar, grains and high carbs I felt way more satisfied.:happy:
  • chickidee87
    chickidee87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take raspberry ketones twice a day and green coffee extract before meals, plus fiber pills twice a day. That seems to help keep me full and I've noticed my cravings have gone down quite a bit.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all, please don't dismiss this as someone else hoping for justification for being a sucker looking for a "miracle pill."

I am wondering if there is any supplement I can take that will legitimately help control my appetite. I'm NOT looking for a miracle pill that will let me eat junk and still lose weight :P I am giving it my best shot, controlling what I eat, when, and how much ... But I seriously get intensely hungry between meals. I get that feeling hungry is part of the deal, but was wondering if there's anything I can take that will make this a bit easier.
    To legitimately control my appetite, I use.....FOOD. :tongue: And no, feeling hungry doesn't have to be "part of the deal" when trying to lose weight. Unless of course it's time for dinner. Haha.

If you are eating the right amount of calories and getting proper amounts of protein, fats, fiber & water (carbs too!), there's no reason to feel hungry between meals and healthy snacks, or to go to bed hungry.

Enter your info and goals accurately and realistically into MFP - meaning if you don't have a lot to lose, say 20-25lbs, don't set your goal to lose 2lbs a week - that's too aggressive, and your calorie goal will automatically be set to the ubiquitous 1200 a day, which is honestly too low for most of us. So .5 or 1 lb a week goal is better in many cases, which will give you a higher, calorie goal.

Also keep in mind that MFP is set up with at daily goal already at a deficit - meaning eat to your goal every day, all the calories, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. If you do exercise, log the cals burned as accurately as possible, and eat those cals back - there's a reason MFP adds them back into your goal. Not doing so creates a much larger deficit, which is no good. Your daily NET cals should be at or near goal at the end of the day.

So watch your cals, but mind your macros as well - don't skimp on proteins and healthy fats, both of which are very satiating, making us feel full and satisfied longer. Skip the non-fat stuff, snack on nuts and seeds, nut butters, avocados, use olive and coconut oils, etc - these will give you good cals and healthy fats in small portions. Eat lean proteins - chicken, lean beef and pork, fish, eggs, cheeses, beans - good stuff.

Food is fuel! Eat the good stuff in proper amounts, weight/fat comes off, no need for suppressants or feeling hungry all the time. :smile:

Good luck!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Going for a run tends to curb my appetite for a few hours--and I burn calories doing it! Best of both worlds.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    OP, I implore you to listen to the people suggesting that you use food to control your appetite. Otherwise you really are just another person looking for the easy way out.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm on track with calories and macros, I eat plain celery and drink more water when I get hungry between meals or after workouts.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    To legitimately control my appetite, I use.....FOOD. :tongue: And no, feeling hungry doesn't have to be "part of the deal" when trying to lose weight. Unless of course it's time for dinner. Haha.

If you are eating the right amount of calories and getting proper amounts of protein, fats, fiber & water (carbs too!), there's no reason to feel hungry between meals and healthy snacks, or to go to bed hungry.

Enter your info and goals accurately and realistically into MFP - meaning if you don't have a lot to lose, say 20-25lbs, don't set your goal to lose 2lbs a week - that's too aggressive, and your calorie goal will automatically be set to the ubiquitous 1200 a day, which is honestly too low for most of us. So .5 or 1 lb a week goal is better in many cases, which will give you a higher, calorie goal.

Also keep in mind that MFP is set up with at daily goal already at a deficit - meaning eat to your goal every day, all the calories, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. If you do exercise, log the cals burned as accurately as possible, and eat those cals back - there's a reason MFP adds them back into your goal. Not doing so creates a much larger deficit, which is no good. Your daily NET cals should be at or near goal at the end of the day.

So watch your cals, but mind your macros as well - don't skimp on proteins and healthy fats, both of which are very satiating, making us feel full and satisfied longer. Skip the non-fat stuff, snack on nuts and seeds, nut butters, avocados, use olive and coconut oils, etc - these will give you good cals and healthy fats in small portions. Eat lean proteins - chicken, lean beef and pork, fish, eggs, cheeses, beans - good stuff.

Food is fuel! Eat the good stuff in proper amounts, weight/fat comes off, no need for suppressants or feeling hungry all the time. :smile:

Good luck!

THIS!!! You probably need to eat more! Set a reasonable weight loss goal 0.5-1 pound/week and eat all your calories! If exercising, eat back those calories. Set macro goals to the correct amounts to maintain lean body mass (muscle) and burn fat. MFP is notorious for its low protein goal! Protein intake should be 1 gram/pound of lean body mass, which for most women is 100-125 grams/day. Fats should be 0.4 grams/pound of lean body mass. If you want more consistent calorie/eating goal, then check out the TDEE-deficit method of weight loss. Exercise is already calculated in, making your daily calorie goal the same.

All those "health food" supplements do NOT work, as has been proven repeated. All they do is "lighten" your wallet, which I doubt is your idea of weight loss. Prescription weight loss meds are only to be used under a doctor's supervision and are only recommended for those who are morbidly obese. Better to learn appropriate portion & caloric intake to adopt a permanent lifestyle change, otherwise you will regain your weight once you stop dieting!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine....about the only legit legal pill I know.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine....about the only legit legal pill I know.
    not legal in the us.

Ephedrine+caffein = hunnnggg!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Sigh. :noway:
    I'm with ya.