My butt is sore... let's make the arms sore too!

Options
I am new to the gym atmosphere. I understand most cardio machines and I can function lovely on the leg presses.

Where do you usually start when it comes to upper body?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I would use mostly free-weights or cable machines for all strength training, not fixed-path machines. For an explanation, google "machines vs. freeweights".

I recommend following an established program, because it covers proper form, the exercise order, # of reps & sets, rest periods, etc. NROLFW is a popular program.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells is a good place where to start.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much upper body strength you currently have.

Personally, I use dumbbells for biceps and triceps, machines for chest & shoulder presses, and cable machines for everything else (lat pull-down, rows, etc). I do push-ups with my feet on the couch and can hold 3-30 second standard planks. I cannot do a pull up to save my life, not even on the assisted machine.

I do 3 sets of 10 of everything (or as many as possible...in the case of push-ups, it's only 5 or so), as that was how I was taught when I first got into weights many years ago. I'm going to do some more reading and may change my program.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    As for me, I'm still a gym newbie myself, so I've been experimenting with different methods. Here's what I've found out myself:

I'm not fond of barbells right now, because I'm alone (not with a trainer or friend) and I'm not great about using good form. Using bad form is likely to end up in injury, so... No thanks. At least not now.

At my gym, there's a workout video "theater" where I select work out videos from a jukebox-like thing & work along.
    Many of those videos involve dumb bells, kettle bells and/ or the big workout balls... SOOOO love those and WOW they're working!

I also use the stationary machines because... Well, crappy form is less likely on those.

So, that's just me. :-)
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Goodness gravy! Thanks for all the great responses! I have never had much for upper body strength. But that is my goal of 2014 is to not only gain some, but look like I have and maintain it!