Question about weight lifting etc for running

jrich1
jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been wanting to do some weight at the gym, but I really dont know where to start (maybe eventually get a PT). I mentioned to my spin instructor I was doing a 5k and she said Cross Train so you dont hurt your knees. Should I do weights or what kinda "training" other than running should I do to get ready for my first 5k?

Replies

• You should do exercises that strengthen your core such as crunches, cherry pickers(idk if u know what exercise im talking about), planks. Also do pushups and do lunges! Im in crosscountry and thats the kind of stuff we do twice a week.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Biking, swimming, the elliptical....any exercise that uses different muscles or uses the leg muscles differently!
  • jrich1
    Biking, swimming, the elliptical....any exercise that uses different muscles or uses the leg muscles differently!

I already do 3 spin classes a week, and do swim some.. I change between the eliptical and treadmill for running and exercise
  • jrich1
    You should do exercises that strengthen your core such as crunches, cherry pickers(idk if u know what exercise im talking about), planks. Also do pushups and do lunges! Im in crosscountry and thats the kind of stuff we do twice a week.

I will look up what some of these are.. great advice though!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    If a 5k is what you are after, you are doing a running program like the Couch to 5k program? If you are looking specifically to add in weight lifting that is aimed towards running you could in squats, deadlifts, and lunges. The power runner machine as well if your gym has one but ultimately doing a tailored running plan like the Couch to 5k is your best bet, if you are not already doing it.
  • jrich1
    If a 5k is what you are after, you are doing a running program like the Couch to 5k program? If you are looking specifically to add in weight lifting that is aimed towards running you could in squats, deadlifts, and lunges. The power runner machine as well if your gym has one but ultimately doing a tailored running plan like the Couch to 5k is your best bet, if you are not already doing it.

Not doing Couch to 5k, I can already run 5k on the treadmill, I just want to improve on my speed and build enough muscle I can handle running outside.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    If you just want to train for running, then focusing on leg and core should do you. If you want overall strength, add in an upper body workout.

You might also consider the complete weight training routine at Tri for Newbies: http://www.trinewbies.com/WeightTraining/weight_welcome.asp. This is a pretty well rounded plan and it should also help with spinning and swimming.

Make sure you are getting adequate rest - at least 48 hours between lifts. And make sure you are stretching your muscles! You don't want to end up tight - especially in the legs and hips.

If you are just starting out with weights, take the weight you think you could lift for 12 reps and reduce it by 5 to 10 pounds. You're muscles will thank you and you will know when you are ready to add more weight - if you can do three sets of 15 reps, up the weight.
This discussion has been closed.