Eating Late

Options
I have trouble planning dinners. I work from 7am and usually don't get home tell 7pm. By that time my husband and I are too tired to cook dinner so we end up just picking up some fast food. I have been looking over my logs and the dinner hour is really hurting my diet efforts. Its just me and my husbands so it only for two people.
What do other people do when they have crazy hours and not much time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Even if you're picking up fastfood there's no reason you can't eat within your calories and make a healthy choice. That being said - you can toss some things in a crockpot when you leave for work and come home to dinner. Does your boyfriend work the same hours as you? If not and he is home earlier, he can start dinner.
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband does work the same hours and already tried crockpot meals gets boring and not much of a meat eater. Do you have any recipes that you use?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband does work the same hours and already tried crockpot meals gets boring and not much of a meat eater. Do you have any recipes that you use?
    I don't eat meat - so I use a book called The Vegan Slow Cooker

But yeah, every fast food place or take out place has a healthy option.
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hear you with my daughter in so many after school activities dinner can be tough. What i did to help was go to the library and check out some make ahead meals. These are great you can cook on the weekends and freeze them for throughout the week.
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the fast food completely. You need to break the habit of always stopping on the way home. Menu plan on the weekend and do most if not all of your cooking. Then just heat up your food during the week. Some weeks I grill 10 chicken breasts on Sunday and eat them all week different ways. Like chicken salad, burritos, with Vegs,and etc. since you dont eat much meat just do the same thing but with vegetables/beans/grains.
  • missg47
    missg47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy, busy schedule too with work and the kids' sports. Whenever possible, I try to make several dinners on Sunday and stick them in the fridge or freezer for later in the week. My crockpot has also become my best friend. Organization is key. Planning meals for the week and trying to stick to the plan also helps a lot. Good luck!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Cook healthy meals on off days from work. Save leftovers for your work days when you get home late and are burned out. Re-heat. Eat.
  • lejenn
    lejenn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to have food already in the fridge that's prepped and ready to go (like salads or leftovers from a previous meal) in the event that I just don't feel like cooking at any particular time :)
  • FattyFeast
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a really bad chef or something but all my favourite meals can be cooked in less than 30 mins. I have one favourite meal that takes less than 5 mins.

Just change what you're cooking to something speedy speedy. Quick carbs? Cous cous. Quick meat? Ham, something cold. Quick veg? Steam something or have it raw.

If I'm starving I usually have an avocado, some slices of parma ham, some cherry tomatoes chopped up and with some vinegar/olive oil and some cous cous. This meal is delicious (to me xD) and can be done in... 3 minutes? Depending on how fast you chop. Most microwave meals actually take longer

Or just have a healthy snack to delay your hunger a bit whilst you get something together? An apple or something.

Personally my normal mealtime is between 8 and 9pm anyway xP
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Anything you can do to prep a meal beforehand will help worlds with this. I do marinated chicken at least once a week - all the prep is in the morning, and when I get home I pop the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes, pour frozen veggies into a steamer and just wait.

Delicious, very nutritious, and low-calories when you do it right.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Planning planning planning.

It's not the most fun activity in the world but it's totally worth it.

Also, multi-night meals. Big pot of beans or a casserole that actually makes leftover you WANT to eat.

Ingredient meals...like have everything on hand to make some tasty wraps or nachos/tacos in just a few minutes.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also try to plan on the weekends so all we have to do is heat stuff up. We will sometimes stop at Subway, which has some great healthy options.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I agree! Planning ahead is the most important thing. I plan my meals on the weekend and then get all the groceries for the week. This also stops me from so much impulse buying (I can only do it once a week!). I'm not a huge crockpot fan, but I do like making soups in it. My favourites are tortilla soup, lasagne soup and tortellini soup. I also like marinating meat in a baggie, and then popping it in the freezer. I try to make enough for 2 meals, one I can have that week and then the other in the freezer so I can just take it out and BBQ it another week.

Here are links to the soup recipes. Please note that none of them are low calorie, broth types soups. They are all hearty supper soups.

http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2011/03/24/lasagna-soup/

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/171098794/creamy-tomato-tortellini-soup/

For the tortilla soup, put in a thinly sliced onion, a can of diced tomatoes, 2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped, half a rotisserie chicken (shredded), 1/2 t cumin, a carton of chicken broth. Garnish with cheddar cheese, avocado slices, tortilla chips.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Pick a day you have some time and cook for the whole week. I do this for breakfasts and lunches for my week.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cook ahead and refridgerate.
    Have salad fiixins in the fridge ready to go along with some protein (chicken, eggs, cheese, beans) to add to the salad.
    I also make taco fillings and have it ready for flavorful additions.
    Protein shakes with blueberries, cranberries, fruits, fiber and anything you want to add.
    Barbequed chicken from the grill ready in the fridge, just zap it.
    Barbeque corn on the cob, eat it like that or cut it off the cob, add vinegar and oil with some tomatoes, red bell pepper, red onions and a spoonful of dijon....viola! a corn salad. It takes 10 minutes, tops.
    You can change your eating habits and the ingredients go a long way.
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys and for the good Ideas. Unfortunately I do plan the meal ,crockpot and freeze dinners but sitting in a car for an hour with a hungry husband the take out wins I just need to stick to my guns and if he wants to take out he can have it. I will just eat what was planned. I just have to remember this is my journey and not his ( he can eat and eat and never gain a thing but for me I look at it and gain 10lbs.)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You could look for healthier fast food options. I work and commute a total of 14 hours a day so kinda know what it's like. When I'm too tired to cook I usually go for a Subway salad with no sauces and stuff, and add homemade hummus or fat-free dressings to it. Maybe you could try something like that.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I also get home around 7 pm and I just cook and eat late. Sometimes I'll go to a yoga class at 7:30, so I won't eat until 9 pm. It doesn't really bother me.

Also, maybe you shouldn't freeze your pre-made dinners. If you have them sitting in the fridge about to go bad and be wasted, you'll need to eat them and not stop for take-out! Personally, I don't want to waste the money going out if I have food to make at home.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    maybe make up big pot of soups for the colder weather so cook only on weekends ? and salads with protein for the warmer weather, they are easy enough?
  • LenaNc
    LenaNc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel you... having someone acting like they are dying is really frustrating....he can fend for himself.....he's a big boy...tell him to stop and get himself something on the way home.....that way maybe he'll have it eaten before you get there.....lol. Otherwise he's going to have to deal with whatever is in the fridge. I would also suggest buying the steam veggies that you can throw in the microwave and have some chicken or something available to eat with it...I know you said you don't eat much meat, so I'm not sure what your meals are normally like. A store bought rotisserie chicken and the frozen veggies can do you for a while.... hubby can eat his on the way home or something...