having a drink..will i still lose weight?

Options
I've been saving calories so i can have a drink..This is something i've never done before.Normally i'd go over my calories for a drink.My question is will i still lose weight if i use the calories i've saved-for a drink?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • laceandbits
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If 250 of your total daily input is beer not bananas, your body will still burn the calories in the same way. Once your intake is down to the cellular level where the body 'burns' it, the cells won't be able to tell its source.

You are far more likely to lose weight by not going over your limit, but again that applies to bananas just as much as beer (or wine or anything else alchoholic.

The but to the situation though is that if you regularly 'eat' a quarter of your daily allowance as drinks, you might be lacking some of the essential nutrients and fibre which are all missing from alchohol.
  • aia4
    aia4 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've saved a 1000 calories..I'm frightened of using them..as i meant not lose weight if i eat/drink them...
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've saved a 1000 calories..I'm frightened of using them..as i meant not lose weight if i eat/drink them...

What do you think is going to happen?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Um.......How many have you actually eaten? If it's below 1200, you're very foolish and this behavior is uber unhealthy.
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    There's protein in wine :)
  • aia4
    Options
    1300 calories a day..
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    1300 calories a day..

So you've only eaten 300 calories today?
  • aia4
    Options
    no i've had 900 so far for today..I've been saving calories up over the week...My limit is 1570 calories a day..but i've been only eating 1300 calories a day..saving what i have left over the week...Making it a 1000 calories saved up...I wondered if i ate what i saved up..if i'd still lose weight..Christ i couldn't function on 300 calories and would be down right stupid if i only ate 300 calories..
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You can definitely still lose weight while drinking alcohol. I had someone who never drank tell me I was gaining weight because I was drinking alcohol. I stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months and didn't change anything else about my diet or exercise and I didn't lose anything.

So, now I drink a few times a week, exercise, and keep my cals at about 1500-1800 and I feel great :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I do this, but because I do a lot of sports I always try and sacrifice something with little or no nutrients in it and eat high nutritious foods anyway. So maybe replace half your pasta with broccoli.

The body sees alcohol as a poison and will attempt to process it before any other foods. Alcohol is 7 cals a gram so is kind of like a useless poisonous fun fat!
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You don't lose or gain weight based on a single evening. It sounds like you've been eating well all week, having a drink (or even 1,000 calories worth of drinks) isn't going to make you wake up tomorrow drastically different.
  • Nicole_gets_a_grip
    Options
    wine is made of grapes.... which is a fruit... fruit is good for you... drink the wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Relax. :)

I'm half a bottle of whiskey deep with relatively strong intentions of drinking the rest. You may find yourself in a calorie surplus if you drink but at the end of the day you should be setting yourself up to succeed by recognising that not every day will be perfect and that the changes you are making should last a lifetime. You have done the right thing by mitigating the impact, so don't worry too much about a few hundred calories today.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    There's protein in wine :)

Regardless of the OP's question, this floats my boat!!
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You've saved the calories, drink them!

I will never give up drink for weight loss - you still need to live life :drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do double all week and am so so so good, weekends,, I party hard!