My bmr is 1247- I do I lose weight!!!??

Oops .... how do I lose weight!?!
hi guys, I'm pretty new and would appreciate everyone's help and/or support .
I'm confused.com
I've calculated online my bmr is 1247, majority of the sites, nutritionists suggest not to eat less than 1200 calls per day. I want to lose 10/14 lbs in 6 weeks...how do I do!?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    You eat above 1247.
    :-)

Your BMR means what your body burns doing absolutely nothing. What is your TDEE? what would TDEE - 15% look like?

Now, you have about 10LBS to lose? That's going to be slow. You should aim for .5 LBS a week.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    What Sabine said.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    You exercise more -- since you can't eat much less. It's hard to get enough nutrients if you eat less than 1200 calories, as far as I understand. So, more exercise is the answer. Good luck to you!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    With a 1247 BMR, even at sedentary activity level your total daily calories is almost 1500 calories (1247 * 1.2 = 1496). So you can lose 0.5 pounds a week eating at a 250 calorie deficit, or 1500-250 = 1250 calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    That's pretty low so you must not have a lot to lose and are already petite or you're quite short. What's your stats?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Agree with Above. Welcome to my world. my BMR is actually under 1200. TDEE - 15% has me at 1250.
    I workout and eat reasonable and go over at times and don't lose super fast. If you have 10-15 to lose than something is off.
    you're currently eating a lot more than that or numbers off

Edited to add:

I'm 4 10 and 98 pounds small boned and still have plenty of 'flab'.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    The online calculators told me that my BMR was 1800. My doctor immediately disagreed and sent me to the hospital to get it tested. Turns out it is actually only 811 - 906 (or something like that). And my TDEE, which was calculated online to be about 2500, was actually only around 1000. Crazy, I know.

So if you can, get your BMR professionally tested.

I wouldn't trust the internet with a recipe, let alone my physical health!
  • bainsjas
    bainsjas Posts: 10 Member
    Hi there
    To work out your tdee, mine is.... is 1.2 * 1247 = 1496.4 TDEE
    I am petite and I'm only 5ft 3"
    I have a big milestone 16th feb and really need to lose the extra bit which wont bdge - Can you help!?
  • bainsjas
    bainsjas Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 5ft 3", 133 lbs....!
    My FTEE is reading: 1496.4
    What do I do...!?