What to do with bananas?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I keep buying them for the kids and they don't eat them.

I've done Skinnytaste's banana nut bread and it's delicious, but it was very hard not to eat the whole loaf, and I'd like to try something else... Suggestions?

Replies

• Aisha192012
    Options
    Here is an east African dessert dish with bananas, learned it from my friends mom i love it and its super easy
    Called Geekera -
    heat Gee (or butter) in a pan, slice bananas and add into pan, sprinkle some sugar on top and mix, heat until soft. You eat it with roti (a flat indian bread) it looks a little mushy but it is delicious! I'm sure it would taste good on top of something too. You might intrigue them by saying its a dish from another country.
    if not try banana muffins, or banana/pb n j sandwhiches/wraps. or banana and honey and peanut butter, if you haven't already that. Best of luck!
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Freeze them, they are amazingly ice cream like when frozen. Great eaten plain
    mashed up or dipped in chocolate! Make sure they are peeled before freezing.
    I bet your kids will eat them!
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Peel them, put them in a freezer bag, mash them all up with your hands and freeze them. Great "ice cream" treat!

:happy:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Banana oatmeal cookies - mix very ripe banana(s) with dry oatmeal (I play around with quantities to get the right consistency) then form into cookie shapes on a baking tray. Put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (or longer if they need it). Delicious! Add chocolate chips/cinnamon/nuts if you want as well - dark chocolate chips taste delicious in them :smile:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Peel them, put them in a freezer bag, mash them all up with your hands and freeze them. Great "ice cream" treat!

I always wondered what the consistency would be like if they were frozen - thanks for this - going to give it a try with the very ripe bananas I have just now :smile:
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I put them in my fruit and vegetable smoothie. Also cook them in my oatmeal.
  • Brainless64
    Brainless64 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here is an east African dessert dish with bananas, learned it from my friends mom i love it and its super easy
    Called Geekera -
    heat Gee (or butter) in a pan, slice bananas and add into pan, sprinkle some sugar on top and mix, heat until soft. You eat it with roti (a flat indian bread) it looks a little mushy but it is delicious! I'm sure it would taste good on top of something too. You might intrigue them by saying its a dish from another country.
    if not try banana muffins, or banana/pb n j sandwhiches/wraps. or banana and honey and peanut butter, if you haven't already that. Best of luck!

I would think what I do with them would be similar but lower calorei option, to appeal to my sweet tooth is slice them and put in microwave for a minute or until soft and then put them in a wholewheat toasted pitta. So no extra calories beyodn the banana and pitta.

I also make Banana Milkshakles usign skimmed (low fat) milk. Add a couple of ice cubes to the blender to make it go thicker.

I also add them as a sweetener to porridge oats for breakfast.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I always wondered what the consistency would be like if they were frozen - thanks for this - going to give it a try with the very ripe bananas I have just now :smile:

I peel him like you guys but I slice them too before freezing. Makes it super easy to grab just how much you need. I love when bananas go on sale at the grocery store and I can buy a whole bunch of em to freeze.
    I love making the "ice cream" treat. I blend the banana (or bananas) with a but of milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

might just be me but for making blended bananas I don't like using bananas that are too too ripe because the flavour is stronger. but for smoothies with other fruit the riper the better.

Edited to fix a typo
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them like was mentioned earlier and use them in a Yonanas. You put frozen fruits through it along with over ripe bananas to make a dessert treat the consistency of ice cream. Love this when it's warm out and I want ice cream.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options

i do this all the time

banana cocoa powder, nuts.. - mash banana sprinkle with cocoa add some nuts

mini banana splits..freeze banana in bite size pieces, drizzled with date choc sauce nuts, homemade coconut whipped cream with toasted coconut

banana cookies

oats+ banana nuts craisens dates whatever you like

goes good in black bean brownies.
  • MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    had to look at the thread, after reading the heading. LOL! Not what I expected.... :D
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    had to look at the thread, after reading the heading. LOL! Not what I expected.... :D

Lmao !
  • MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If they don't eat them, why buy them, as they, obviously, don't like them?
  • 1BrowneyedGirl
    1BrowneyedGirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you have a dehydrator, you can make banana chips: just slice and splash with lemon juice before dehydration for some yummy snacks or use in some homemade fruit roll ups. I also like to chill them and then puree them with some honey or real maple syrup and top with a dab of whipped cream for a tasty treat. If you like them in breads and such then just mash them up and add them in pancakes, muffins or whatever. You can use bananas in place of oil in some baked goods.
  • erind2017
    erind2017 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my mom would always mash bananas up and spread it on graham crackers for us. It is delicious!I still eat it every once and a while as a snack.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Put them in pancakes, make a 2-egg-1-banana scramble (scramble it all together in a pan on the stove... topped with maple syrup, it is so yummy!), throw them in smoothies, banana muffins are good for portion control, etc. Lots of ideas out there! :)
  • sorinadutoit
    sorinadutoit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use them to sweeten my mashed butternut squash with, instead of using sugar. My son doesn't like butternut squash unless I make it with bananas. I like to add a little cinamon too. Works well for flavouring mashed yams too.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Banana oatmeal cookies - mix very ripe banana(s) with dry oatmeal (I play around with quantities to get the right consistency) then form into cookie shapes on a baking tray. Put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (or longer if they need it). Delicious! Add chocolate chips/cinnamon/nuts if you want as well - dark chocolate chips taste delicious in them :smile:
    I make these too, and they're so good! 1 cup of oatmeal, 3 bananas and a 1/2 cup of mix-ins. My current fave is a blend of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. You need to shape them before baking, as they don't expand or flatten on their own.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

This sounds good! Thanks!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I loved bananas and custard when I was a kid.