Step It Up

IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Step It Up

Do you know how many steps you take in a day? You can, with a pedometer. In fact, wearing one is a good way to gauge how much activity you're getting while just going about your daily activities. It can tell you whether you're active enough or whether you should build some more movement into your day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Surgeon General recommend a minimum of 10,000 steps per day (roughly four miles). If that seems like a lot, remember that every step you take during the day counts toward the total. When you add up all the steps you take walking among the different rooms in your home, down the hallway at work, and to and from your car, you'll see that it's an achievable goal.

If you don't own a pedometer, consider buying one. Look for a basic model that's easy to operate and easy to read. You don't have to get anything too expensive — there are many decent basic models available for less than $20.

Start by wearing the pedometer for a few days to get a feel for how many steps you're taking now. If it's less than 10,000, challenge yourself to work your way up there. Little changes like parking further away from your office or the store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and walking over to talk to your work colleagues instead of shooting them an e-mail can really add up. Remember that the number on your pedometer is an estimate of your steps. If it is off by a few steps, don't worry about it — just focus on how much you are moving during the day.

This week, buy and use a pedometer to keep track of your activity level. Soon, you'll find yourself looking for excuses to get moving! http://www.dukediet.com/publicsite

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    I know for me when I use my pedometer I move more. I get up for copier, use stairs more, walk to people's desk instead of email etc. I personally feel a pedometor is a very good investment and they have them at Wal-Mart as cheap as $5 bucks. Now that I received this reminder email and it is getting cooler outside soon I will be pulling it out again tonight.
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Wow, I actually thought about getting one before I read your post :) I think it's a great way to keep track on the level of your activity throughout the day:)

I have a question about it.. does it help when you're running? does it count the length or something?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Not sure on the running, since I can't run.......:-) Good question. Hopefully someone will answer you or you may want to post this question yourself.
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    We will see :-) but pedometer is definitely a great idea!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    It will give you some "steps" for running but not necessarily accurately. I also put mine on my foot when I bike and get steps that way. I only do that because we have this program at work that gives us cash for belonging to some website that counts our steps and other activities.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    It will give you some "steps" for running but not necessarily accurately. I also put mine on my foot when I bike and get steps that way. I only do that because we have this program at work that gives us cash for belonging to some website that counts our steps and other activities.

Thanks for the bike idea!! Do you snap it on the side of your shoe or sock when biking? I never thought of that for a more accurate reading. I know when I wear it on my waist it is way off.
  • cindybone
    cindybone Posts: 12 Member
    I will try to get me one I have one but hard to operate.:flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Do you snap it on the side of your shoe or sock when biking?
    On the shoe.

Except today I forgot. :(
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Thanks MacMadame!! i am going to give it a try. I also forgot it today.
This discussion has been closed.