Strength Training at Home

Options
What are strength training exercises that can be done at home with no equipment or with household items? A gym membership isn't within my budget and I can't set aside the time in my schedule (I'm a part-time college student, I work part-time, and I commute on the city bus). I want to add strength training to my fitness routine, I just have no idea where to start. Links, tips, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm very new at this but I have about 100lbs to lose. I need help.

Replies

• awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just google body weight exercises... Or check YouTube for body weight exercise
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    There are many, I happened to be Certified in this area. What are you goals as far as fitness goes
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    "You Are Your Own Gym" is one I hear mentioned a lot, although I haven't tried it. A website I really like is http://www.nerdfitness.com/ It has a particular style that you may or may not like but has a lot of great resources. If you want to get stronger, you will need your exercises to be progressively harder. So for example, if you start with pushups, once you have mastered them, work on different pushup variations that are progressively harder.
  • hiddenorchestra
    hiddenorchestra Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    200 BURPEES / 200 AIR SQUATS / 200 SITUPS

Peak physique can do that in sub 30 min. * I tried this and it took me closer to one hour lol

Try 50 BURPEES/ 50 AIR SQUATS/ 50 SITUPS every day until it gets easy, then move up.

Do 10/10/10 , 1 min break, repeat 5 times.

Should gas you and get you jacked.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Also interested in this, i have seen you are your own gym before but never really looked into it
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    YAYOG - there's either a book or a smartphone app. Probably the app is the cheapest way you're going to get this done.

Just you, the app and your body.
  • 1971jamie
    1971jamie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here's some great easy-to-follow videos from beginner to more advanced level, from a guy who clearly knows what he's talking about judging by his visible results over past couple years

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress?feature=watch
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Someone that is new to exercising and is 100lbs overweight possibly could have a hard time doing 50 burpees...50 air squats...50 pushups...even in 2 hours.

I started with bicep curls...tricept extensions...pushups off of the wall and countertop.

I added squats only going as far as my knees would allow me.

Resistance bands are inexpensive and allow you to start at less tension and work your way up (make sure that you get the right one for your level or buy a set of 4 or 5. I got mine from amazon for about 25 dollars and they came with a door anchor.)

You can use water jugs for weights to begin with as long as they are of equal weight.

If you have some steps in your house you could add step ups.

One exercise that you can do almost anywhere (like waiting for the bus) are calf raises...

There are a lot of simple exercises that require no equipment and that are appropriate for beginners and for obese people. They might not put on a lot of muscle but while you are losing weight they will begin to get them in to shape and work your joints.

My muscles were extremely tight after years of inactivity and I have joint problems. I work on that part a "lot"...as it has improved I find doing some of the more challenging exercises easier.

There are also some good chair routines (which is where I started) that will start getting you in to motion until you get some weight off and are able to do some more advanced routines.

Start where ever you are comfortable and that doesn't hurt your joints...work your way up...you will be surprised how quickly you will advance.

I don't know a lot about all of this stuff...I just know that you have to find what is right for you and the things you will stick with.

BTW I started with 1 set of 10 reps...doesn't sound like much but now I have worked my way up to 3 sets of 15 reps and have increased the amount of weight that I use. It has been slow progress but I have managed not to break anything so far.

Search the net for exercise for obese people and for seniors...try various things...try to find something for each body area...arms, shoulders, back, abs and legs. It took me a while but eventually I came up with what works for me.

Good luck...don't let not knowing how to do some of this intimidate you...everyone was a beginner at some point.
  • TheLovelyKenne
    Options
    Lol it feels so horrible to be completely honest with my self. I would love to be extremely fit and muscular. I guess I could say that's my goal. I'm apprehensive because maybe I feel that's not a realistic expectation for myself...I don't know...I always wanted dancers' legs and, really, I'd rather be fit than skinny. I've heard it's better to weight train as you go than to wait until you've lost the weight then bulk up. I feel like such a newb though. I've been overweight pretty much my entire life and I'm really wishing I would've taken phys ed more seriously because I don't know how to do even the most basic exercise correctly.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I didn't have a clue as to where to start or how I was to do things correctly. Since I couldn't afford a gym membership nor a trainer I just kept watching videos and reading on correct form. There is so much that I would like to do but had no idea where to start. So I started with things that I could figure out on my own. Simple things and then when I had that figured out I added something new.

The most important this is...to MOVE! Don't worry at this point...just start moving.

Go to Youtube and search for "Leslie Sanone 1 Mile". She has some for beginner walkers that you do at home. Do as much as you can even if it is only 5 or 10 minutes to start. Just start moving...build up you confidence...

I am 61...hadn't exercised in any years...I have some health issues plus arthritis. When I started MOVING I couldn't believe that I would ever even get through one mile. Five months ago I was exhausted after 10 minutes...I now do anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours of some form of exercising.

First thing is...time to leave the Pity Party...that party needs to end. I still have days that I think about having a Pity Party...but that party is what got me overweight and almost immobile. The Pity Party won't get me healthy.

You can do this...if you truly want to...maybe slowly at first...but the pace will pick up and you will amaze yourself at what you will be able to do.

Good Luck...
  • haymck123
    haymck123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm using sworkit and runtastic apps... It's like having a personal trainer at home!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    200 BURPEES / 200 AIR SQUATS / 200 SITUPS

Peak physique can do that in sub 30 min. * I tried this and it took me closer to one hour lol

Try 50 BURPEES/ 50 AIR SQUATS/ 50 SITUPS every day until it gets easy, then move up.

Do 10/10/10 , 1 min break, repeat 5 times.

Should gas you and get you jacked.

200 of anything is not a strength training workout. That's cardio.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It may seem horrible to be completely honest with yourself but that's how you're going to make the best progress. Let go of the illusions, be honest about where you are, what you want and what your limitations are. Then you can figure out how to get what you want. People fall out of their New Years resolutions really quickly so keep an eye on Craigslist. You might be able to pick up some dumbbells or other small equipment really cheap. Start with whatever bodyweight exercises you can do, try to walk more, and move up as each thing gets easier.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Lol it feels so horrible to be completely honest with my self. I would love to be extremely fit and muscular. I guess I could say that's my goal. I'm apprehensive because maybe I feel that's not a realistic expectation for myself...I don't know...I always wanted dancers' legs and, really, I'd rather be fit than skinny. I've heard it's better to weight train as you go than to wait until you've lost the weight then bulk up. I feel like such a newb though. I've been overweight pretty much my entire life and I'm really wishing I would've taken phys ed more seriously because I don't know how to do even the most basic exercise correctly.

At least you are realistically aware of where you are at. It's fantastic that you have some clarity as to where you currently are.

I'd echo recommendations for You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning.