the flip side of "the freshman 15"

Options
so you know how you're "suppose" to gain 15lbs your freshman year of college? well, I'm pretty sure it's having the reverse effect on me! haha, and I'm not complaining! i'm sure i walk 5 mi. a day minimum at a brisk pace...not to mention it's hard to find time to eat, which is bad, i know...I've started carrying Kashi protein meal bars to eat as i walk lol

Replies

• mkmckenz
    Options
    That's what happened to me my freshman year too, but by the end of the year I had gained it all back and then some! Still working it off. Where you'll fall off your goal is the beer, the late night grub (pizza, mexican food), the cafeteria food and your body adjusting to the added walking everyday.
    To help stave off unwanted weight, make sure you hit the gym or start running every once in a while to keep your body challenged and keep those calories burning!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I lost weight my first semester - I went to school on a large campus and walked everywhere, but then as I got more used to the dining hall (eat all you can buffet-style) and was done with all the forced freshman-orientation social events that had me walking all over campus, I started gaining. I have no idea how much I weighed going into college, but I'm willing to bet I put on at least 20 or 30 pounds over that 4 year period.

Just a warning that you'll want to watch what you eat - try to avoid the pitfalls of a normal college diet (late night pizza, weekend beer binges, ramen-noodle diets, way too much Starbuck's, etc.) and keep up with regular exercise, otherwise it will catch up with you over time.
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ok thanks you guys!