BMI Accuracy Questioned

sngnyrslp
sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
This is a really interesting article discussing the flaws of measuring people's health based on their BMI:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/health/31brod.html?_r=2&ref=science

Replies

• Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Thx!
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    I think the accuracy of BMI has been suspect for awhile now -- it certainly has been in my mind. But this is definitely good reinforcement. Thanks for this.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    I once read an article explaining how the BMI came about. The Health Authority wanted a large range of people, all different ages, ethnic backgrounds and heights. To find this "Sample" they went to the dockyards. This was in the 1930s. Dock workers were mostly undernourished with little muscle mass, so the average person was not really a good indication. It is a good ball park, but body fat % will always be better. The Australian Army uses BMI as an indicator. My BMI is 31.5 this states that I am obese. Every year I have my medical and when my BMI is over 30 I have to go and see the doctor. He sees me, says I do need to lose a little bit of weight but I am by no means Obese. I am certainly overweight, but not obese. When my BMI is 25 (Top top of the healthy range) I look positively sick and the doctor tells me that I really need to put some weight on!
    So, use it as a guide, but if you do a lot of exercise or have a high lean muscle mass it will not be accurate.
    A friend of mine has a BMI of 30.5 so he is "obese" but he has a body fat % of 8. Muscles Galore!
This discussion has been closed.