Skinny jeans problems.

Options
I'm 5'1, around 140lbs. So short and chubby. I have always been chubby, ever since moving to Ireland. I ate a lot of crappy food when I first got here, but I may have lost a bit of weight since then. I used to hate skinny jeans because I thought I had really fat legs. Now I have grown to like my legs a bit more. There was a slight time window when my skinny jeans fit perfectly. Now they don't anymore. I want to think I am an UK size 10, because those are the clothes I normally buy. But the thing is, size UK 10 jeans fit my legs quite well, the perfect size, but around my waist they are tight. If I go up to an UK size 12, it is quite baggy on my legs, which I don't like, and it is fitted around my waist. Just a bit lose, and I would need to wear a belt. Should I still go for size 10 jeans or size 12? I wish there was a size between the two, but sadly no :( Any help?

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    make your own skinny jeans, or better yet, stop obsessing over them. They're overrated anyway.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans just don't fit everyone I'm afraid...
    But instead of looking out for the size look out for the fabric and style which might help a bit. For once you could try out the tummy control or lifting jeans which got a higher waist and hence might fit you better.
    Another important factor is the fabric. Go for a really stretchy one and maybe even a more jeggins type thing which doesn't button up on the top (bought a pair at h&m the other week) they still look like skinny jeans but are made if a super stretchy jeans material.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Firstly UK size 10/12 is definitely not chubby!
    Secondly, I always struggle to find jeans that fit, if they fit the waist they're too tight on my thighs and if they fit on my legs they're too loose at the waist. It's annoying. I usually just wear a belt. Try lots of different brands to find the best fit or maybe you could find a dressmaker and get them altered?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I couldn't wear them until I got down to my current weight (117-120lbs), and wearing a size 2 regular jeans. Anything above that and they just looked bad on me.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    two words - find yourself a good tailor... ok, that was more than two words. but you get the idea.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    make your own skinny jeans, or better yet, stop obsessing over them. They're overrated anyway.

Yuck. Homemade skinny jeans. That's just sick.

Keep trying until you find a pair that looks amazing. I like Victoria's Secret, 7 for all Mankind and Levis.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Secondly, I always struggle to find jeans that fit, if they fit the waist they're too tight on my thighs and if they fit on my legs they're too loose at the waist. It's annoying. I usually just wear a belt. Try lots of different brands to find the best fit or maybe you could find a dressmaker and get them altered?

It is slightly chubby for the OP, I'm a similar height and size and weight. An 8/10 would be better for us. I had a similar problem with a pair of size 10 jeans last week. They fit perfectly around my legs and thighs but were a bit too tight on the waist. Losing a few pounds will definitely help.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ergh i have this problem! find a good shop tho as all are different
    i find h&m fits the best for me
    levi ones are terrible on me!
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options

It is slightly chubby for the OP, I'm a similar height and size and weight. An 8/10 would be better for us. I had a similar problem with a pair of size 10 jeans last week. They fit perfectly around my legs and thighs but were a bit too tight on the waist. Losing a few pounds will definitely help.

There are plenty of women that size who aren't chubby. Check yourself babe.
  • acuthbert93
    acuthbert93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Buy the bigger ones and then take in the legs alone the outer leg seams with a sewing machine :-) I've turned bootlegs into skinny jeans this way, so I'm sure it would work to just make the legs less baggy.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always have troubles finding jeans that fit as well. I have maybe 2 pair that fit me propperly, and I wear them the majority of the time. I have bigger thighs, so in order for jeans to fit my legs, they are much too big in the waist. I also found that the style of jeans makes a huge difference (low rise, mid rise, high waisted..). I have a pair from JC Penny that are mid rise and fit me great. I always tried on low rise jeans, and that was my biggest issue! They may seem like "mom jeans", but once you have a top on it's not that much different :) good luck!
  • margaretsewall
    margaretsewall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    to skinny jean problems--is that a recent pic of you?
    sorry girl-- you are NOT chubby! at least not in that pic :)<3
    i have a hard time shopping for jeans as well-i dislike it more
    than shopping for the dreaded bathing suit! HA....
    i am short but like a real woman have thighs and hips and a butt -- lol....
    so jeans either fit me around the waist and not on the legs or vise versa! :-O
  • margaretsewall
    Options
    skimpstah (sp?)
    yeah --skinny jeans i find annoying anyway! an too main stream :)
  • MshelleMar
    MshelleMar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem...Size UK 10 fits my leg/hips amazing but the waist is always too big for me. Size 8 also fits but the waist is a bit too tight i end up with a muffin top urgh
  • margaretsewall
    Options
    and wow size 10? what i wouldn't give to be THAT size again! :-O
    grass is always greener i guess :)
  • margaretsewall
    Options
    grass ISN'T always greener i meant
  • margaretsewall
    Options

Ah HA! figured out how to directly reply -- lol
    sorry guys
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    Find a pair with a higher amount of the stretchy material in(its what i do) although i have a few pairs of size 14 jeans i got he beginning of last year which don't have much i them and they are tight.At 5'5 and size 14 i want to get back to a size 12 or atleast to fit into those size 14 skinnys that are to tight haha.
    I couldn't live without my skinny jeans (sad i know but i love em) mainly because i just dont feel comfortable in anything other than them or those boyfriend jeans lol
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm 5'1" and 116lbs, and I can't get into anything below a UK size 10 because I have naturally wide hips. I can lose and gain a ridiculous amount of weight and my jeans size will not change. Petite clothing is often so expensive, and I struggle on my student budget. The last pair of skinny jeans I bought were from Primark and unsurprisingly became super baggy around the knees within a month.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm 5'1, around 140lbs. So short and chubby. I have always been chubby, ever since moving to Ireland. I ate a lot of crappy food when I first got here, but I may have lost a bit of weight since then. I used to hate skinny jeans because I thought I had really fat legs. Now I have grown to like my legs a bit more. There was a slight time window when my skinny jeans fit perfectly. Now they don't anymore. I want to think I am an UK size 10, because those are the clothes I normally buy. But the thing is, size UK 10 jeans fit my legs quite well, the perfect size, but around my waist they are tight. If I go up to an UK size 12, it is quite baggy on my legs, which I don't like, and it is fitted around my waist. Just a bit lose, and I would need to wear a belt. Should I still go for size 10 jeans or size 12? I wish there was a size between the two, but sadly no :( Any help?

I blame Ireland.
    I'm sure both look good, so just go for whichever you find more comfortable.