MFP Calorie Goal Too High?

Options
Hello

I'm 5'7" Tall, Male, and 46. I'm trying to maintain my weight at 140 Lbs (Nice round figure and 22 BMI).

I am quite active. I walk 20-25 mile a day (measured by my Fitbit).

My question is:

The calculated Daily BMR is 1501 and Calorie Requirement is BMR*1.9=2852,
but MFP is calculating my target at around 4400 (2420 goal + 2000 exercise) calories per day.

Which calorie target should I use to keep my weight stable?

I must admit I am finding it hard to eat the 4400 calories a day.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do you really exercise 2000 calories every day? MFP calculates a base figure, and then adds on more calories as you log exercise.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and it takes a whole lot if trial & error to find what works for you. Set your activity level to very active & set your goal to maintenance http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Connect your Fitbit & MFP accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30

Do not log any step based activity. That's what the Fitbit adjustments are for. Non-step based exercise (like swimming or spinning) can be logged in Fitbit or MFP--never both. If you log in MFP, you'll be asked for start & end times. MFP will override your step data during that time.

Give it a few weeks, then reevaluate. You may have to adjust your activity level &/or the percentage of exercise calories you eat back until you find the number of calories at which your weight stabilizes.

Congratulations on reaching your goal.
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    I work Tuesday-Saturday and here is my MFP data for the last week

Day Goal Exercise
    Tues 7 2589 2007
    Wed 8 " 1833
    Thurs 9 " 1800
    Fri 10 " 1734
    Sat 11 2589 1713

My exercise calories are so high as I walk to/from work (5 miles each way) and walk a further 10-15 miles while at work. Fitbit says I'm doing 45000 - 60000 steps 5 days a week.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    At your weight you can spare a few pounds in order to get a more accurate estimate of your TDEE. Average the 2 estimates and eat that for 2 weeks and weigh yourself. Weigh yourself once 3 days after starting because the initial gain is to be expected then only take seriously any gain over your weigh in taken after 3 days.
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "Fitbit says I'm doing 45000 - 60000 steps 5 days a week."

I'm making an amazed face.

Unless I intentionally get out and walk/run, I get about 2000 steps per day. Yes, I have a desk job and I shop at Amazon.com. I thought I was a superhero the one day I hit 25,000 steps. I can't imagine how often you must buy new shoes.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If this represents an average working day for you, set your activity level to Active or Very Active, disconnect FitBit from MFP and don't count walking in your exercise calories.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work Tuesday-Saturday and here is my MFP data for the last week

Day Goal Exercise
    Tues 7 2589 2007
    Wed 8 " 1833
    Thurs 9 " 1800
    Fri 10 " 1734
    Sat 11 2589 1713

My exercise calories are so high as I walk to/from work (5 miles each way) and walk a further 10-15 miles while at work. Fitbit says I'm doing 45000 - 60000 steps 5 days a week.

I think your error is in calculating your walking as exercise. It should be programmed into your activity level. My job requires me to walk a lot also so I selected "Very Active". Exercise is above and beyond work.
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    @mdf247

I'm a Postman (Processing). I'm on my feet all of the 8 hour shift. My job involves a lot of walking, and that combined with the 10 miles walking to/from work (I don't drive so I walk to the the train station and then from the station to the plant).

I have my target on Fitbit set to 25000 steps and the Fitbit usually buzzes around lunchtime.

---
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/22D3X2
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/bluetalonuk
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you want to log your walking, change your activity level to sedentary, or keep your activity to very active and don't log the walking. Don't do both or you will be double counting.
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    @AnotherXFitGu

I WALK at 4-6 miles / hour and runkeeper counts it as Jogging, Fitbit counts it as "Very Active" activity.

Look at my fitbit profile if you want.

---
    http://www.fitbit.com/user/22D3X2
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/bluetalonuk
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    If this represents an average working day for you, set your activity level to Active or Very Active, disconnect FitBit from MFP and don't count walking in your exercise calories.

I can't stop counting my walking steps. I use a fitbit and that counts ALL my steps, Walking or Running. I have set my activity to Active in MFP.
  • erickirb
    Options

I can't stop counting my walking steps. I use a fitbit and that counts ALL my steps, Walking or Running. I have set my activity to Active in MFP.

change activity level to sedentary or you will be double counting the activity if you are using fitbit
  • bluetalonuk
    Options

change activity level to sedentary or you will be double counting the activity if you are using fitbit

It's not double counting. If I don't log my walk to work on Runkeeper then Fitbit sends the steps to fitbit and I still get 1500-2000 exercise calories in MFP. I'll double check that by not logging my walks next week and see what it says.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

This.

Or you can disconnect your FitBit from MFP so it doesn't give you extra calories for walking.

Then if you still want to use FitBit to calculate calories for your running, the model I have, the FitBit One lets you measure steps/calories for a the time you tell it to. Just hold the button in for a few seconds - the same as you do to measure sleep, but it "knows" it's an activity instead because you keep moving.

Don't let your FitBit be the boss of you!
  • erickirb
    Options

It's not double counting. If I don't log my walk to work on Runkeeper then Fitbit sends the steps to fitbit and I still get 1500-2000 exercise calories in MFP. I'll double check that by not logging my walks next week and see what it says.

Yes you will, but your base calories would be much lower at about 1800 (1500*1.2) instead of 2800
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    I think I'm going to try and stick to my 2589 & 600 calories (I'm trying the 5:2 Diet) next week and see if my weight stabilizes. At the moment I'm stuck on 145-150 lbs.
  • floppyghost
    Options
    20-25 miles pro day is a LOT of walking. Given that even a brisk pace of walking is typically something like 3 or 3.5 mph, that's the equivalent of walking continually for at least 6 hours every single day.

Do you really walk that much ?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're male and 145 pounds? What height?
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You're overcomplicating this. What are you eating calorie and macro wise? Is that maintaining your weight? If so, you have your answer.
  • bluetalonuk
    Options
    20-25 miles pro day is a LOT of walking. Given that even a brisk pace of walking is typically something like 3 or 3.5 mph, that's the equivalent of walking continually for at least 6 hours every single day.

Do you really walk that much ?

as I said before I walk 5 miles to and from work (10 miles so far) then I walk around at work most of the time for 8 hours.

My walking pace is between 4 and 6 MPH (verified by GPS)

SO approx 13 miles/day walking around at work + 10 miles walking to/from work IS A LOT OF ACTIVITY