Sick... When Is It Ok To Go Back To Gym?

Options
So going to the gym is what got me sick in the first place. People literally kept sneezing right in my breathing space when I was on the elliptical. I've had a bad cold for a week now. Starting to feel a little bit better. In your opinion, when is it ok to go back to the gym?

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    By the time You feel sick it is already past the spreading of germs to pass your cold to others so basically you have already spread your cold to the entire gym lol

Fevers - You have to wait till 24 hrs after your fever goes down so that you do not spread to others.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I normally wait until I can breath through my nose again and it's stopped dripping.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    By the time You feel sick it is already past the spreading of germs to pass your cold to others so basically you have already spread your cold to the entire gym lol

Fevers - You have to wait till 24 hrs after your fever goes down so that you do not spread to others.

Hahaha! Oops.

So as long as I don't have a fever I'm ok to workout? I've been wasting time waiting for my runny nose to stop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I have a little case of the sniffles I work out as usual. If I have a lot of stuff going on in my chest I rest until that congestion is gone. If I have a fever I wait until the fever has been gone for at least 24 hours.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As long as I can breathe and don't have a fever I workout. A few sniffles won't stop me from running.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If I have a little case of the sniffles I work out as usual. If I have a lot of stuff going on in my chest I rest until that congestion is gone. If I have a fever I wait until the fever has been gone for at least 24 hours.

Ditto.

Same goes for any stomach issues - make sure it's been at least 24 hours since you've gotten sick and you physically feel well enough to work out.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Flu / Fever / Vomiting

Got these symptoms? Stay home.

Otherwise go to the gym and lift heavy things. If you're not washing your hands before you touch your face / leave the gym you like to live dangerously.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If its just a cold then I wouldn't even stop going. I actually usually find that a bit of cardio makes me feel better when I have a cold - opens up the airways or something.

Unless I'm down with a high fever to the point I'm bed ridden, I go to the gym.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i've heard the adage, if it's a "neck up" sickness (like a head cold) - you're ok to go back when you're feeling up to it. if it's a neck-down sickness (fever, aches, stomach issues) - then stay away until you're 100%
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd just take it slowly. I went to a class once when I was still not totally recovered... mistake. I felt dizzy, they stopped the class for me and called the nurse. So embarrassing. I'd start with the treadmill at 3mph for 20 minutes or something.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Assuming we're just talking about a regular cold, I think it's fine as long as you're past the part where you sneeze all over the place or drip all over the equipment - as long as you wipe everything down, you're good to go.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    If I can breathe well, don't feel I am going to be contagious and get everyone there sick, and have the energy to go, then I go.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over the flu...went back to the gym this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks. I did a shortish cardio workout...and it felt really good even though my wind is not where it was yet. I'm hoping the workout will help get the last nastiness out of my lungs! It does feel good to get back to my routine!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you can't control your coughing, stay away.