Could someone help me start building some muscle?

Options
I have an awful lot of weight to loose and I'm all flab so I want to start toning up my muscles now to help raise my metabolism and so I'm not left with too much of a big baggy belly later ^_^

My problem is I haven't a clue where to start. We're very financially limited at the minute so I can't afford to go to the gym to lift weights and I frankly can't afford to invest in any small weights for home either.

I understand pushups and crunches could be a good place to start but if anyone could give me some other good starter tips I would be ever so greatful :)

Replies

• ambercole
    Options
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred is pretty good. it's only 20 minutes a day and it is fairly easy.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    try Chalean extreme. You can find it at beachbody.com it changes my body big time. It focuses mainly on building lean muscle which help you shed lots of fat :)
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look up "Prison Workouts" on Google. Workouts designed to be done with no equipment, in limited spaces. Some are better than others, so browse around until you find one that works for you.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I second the 30 Day Shred. The DVD is $9 and you just need a set of light weights. Or you could even fill up two water bottles with water or something to create your own weights for free. It combines cardio and strength and it was how I started with strength training. If you don't want to buy a set of weights, try getting a resistance band. There are lots of exercises that you can do with it, and it's cheaper than weights. Pushups are great, but I've found it helps to have a video to follow along with. I'm doing Chalean Extreme now, but it's expensive to buy the DVDs so the Shred might be better for you financially.