anyone have any suggestions? Feel free to view my food diary

Options
2»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to sneak a peek at my diary for some ideas.

I shop at Costco so you will see a lot of the same ingredients in there. I am a foodie, I love to eat, so it has to be delicious or I am out.

Todays diary is not normal for me as I had a party for the game.

I also have a facebook page for healthy and nutritional meals with picture recipes. If you are interested you can find the link to it on my profile.

Good luck
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your diary is fine. I'm just worried about the "protein shakes" stuff because extra protein can kill your kidneys.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-protein-shakes-harm-your-health/

And, I will be honest about this, my step-father's health failed in the kidney due to his eating of protein bars. He wasn't weight lifting, it's just that my ill educated mother wanted him to lose weight so he wound up eating a lot of them and came down with some kidney issues which led to his death - but that's another story.

As far as exercise, have you tried Zumba? You can check out Zumba dance videos online & I can attest to Zumba being great for weight loss. I know that for me it can burn 400+ cals an hour - I have a HRM.

Your father's kidney problems began before he started eating protein bars. The only people who have trouble with a high protein diet are people who have poorly functioning kidneys. It does not CAUSE kidney disease that I know of, unless he ate those and nothing else.

That article talks about the dangers of heavy metal contaminants in protein powders. And yeah, you can eat too much protein just like you can eat too much of anything and have problems down the road. This is why I advised OP to go with the latest recommendations for protein intake during calorie restriction, not just 'drink 20 protein shakes a day and you'll be fine.'
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    No, my stepfather's kidney problems did not start before he started downing protein bars. And science proves your theory incorrect.

"
    According to Dr. T. Colin Campbell, there is “a strong correlation between dietary protein intake and cancer of the breast, prostate, pancreas, and colon.”
    According to Dr. Douglas Graham, a leading authority in the field of nutrition: “Too much protein in our diets is associated with all manner of health impairments, including such symptoms as constipation and other digestive disorders that often lead to toxemia (toxic blood and tissues) and eventually, cancer. Autoimmune dysfunction, arthritis, and all other autoimmune conditions, premature aging, impaired liver function, kidney failure, osteoporosis, and many other pathogenic conditions result from eating more protein than we need.”[iii]
    According to Dr. Gabriel Cousens in his book Conscious Eating “An excess protein diet has also been found to cause a deficiency of B6 and B3. Protein has also been found to leach out calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium from the system.”[iv]
    The late nutrition expert, Paavo Airola, Ph.D., stated that overeating protein “contributes to the development of many of our most common and serious diseases, such as arthritis, kidney damage, pyorrhea, schizophrenia, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, heart disease, and cancer: and that a “high protein diet causes premature aging and lowers life expectancy.”
    Dr. M. Ted Morter Jr., author of “Your Health, Your Choice” also believes that excess protein (in excess of what our bodies require) wreaks havoc on our health. He says that “Too much protein – that time-honored foundation of nutrition – puts such radical physiological stress on the body that the healing process is sabotaged. This, in turn sets us up for developing the chronic diseases that plague our population.”

"We also discussed that the average intake of protein consumption for the average American is roughly 15-16% – much higher than the more realistic requirement range of 5-6% that Dr. Campbell, Dr. Douglas Graham, the World Health Organization and even the RDA recommend.

At the 5-10% range of protein intake, depending on size, weight and activity level, we would need a ballpark range of 30-60 grams of protein. In the 15%-16% range we start to see protein weigh in at roughly 70-100 grams and upwards.

How does our body handle this much protein and what are the health consequences of consuming double what our body actually needs? Is 15-20% protein consumption too high – is there such a thing as too much protein?"

http://sacredsourcenutrition.com/the-danger-of-too-much-protein-in-excess-of-10/

Then there this from another physician

"Consuming excess protein in the diet (over 35% of total calories), especially with carbohydrate restriction, can lead to the buildup of toxic ketones, substances made when the body uses its own fat cells for fuel in the absence of sufficient carbohydrates. Ketones can harm the kidneys as they try to excrete these substances. This is accompanied by a corresponding loss of water through the kidneys, leading to dehydration. Symptoms of consuming a ketogenic diet can include fatigue, headache, dizziness, heart palpitations, and bad breath. There is excess stress on the heart, and muscle mass and bone calcium both decline. The American Heart Association does not recommend high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets because they often contain high-fat foods and can lead to deficiencies in some nutrients like fiber and certain vitamins. A healthy and balanced diet is by far the best choice for those who want to lose weight or improve athletic performance. "

http://www.medicinenet.com/how_much_dietary_protein_to_consume/views.htm