Weight flucuating

Options
Friday I weighed 144.6. I had worked out twice. Saturday, I worked out once. This morning I weighed in at 147.8. That is 3lbs in 2 days. Is this normal? I don't always have time to work out twice in a day and I am trying to be realistic. 2 a days are not feasible for me. I wouldn't worry if my weight remained the same but it went up. Solutions anyone?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day, and throughout the day. Don't panic!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing so much, you'll go mad with the fluctuations
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. If you're controlling your calories accurately and they're less than your TDEE you can trust that any gains are from water weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yeah...your weight fluctuates naturally. Nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time. You have water retention/release, varying degrees of waste in your system, food coming in/out, etc.

Your weight control (loss/maintenance/gain) is largely about your diet, not your exercise. Exercise increases your body's calorie requirements to maintain and thus would allow for greater food intake to still lose...but trying to create a deficit with exercise is extremely inefficient.

You don't need to work out twice per day...you should have independent fitness goals that will help you determine your exercise requirements. Training twice per day can be counterproductive, especially if you don't know how to fuel your body and get proper rest...you end up with over-training injuries. Even when I'm training for a triathlon or century ride or something I don't work out multiple times per day every day. Even when I'm really training, most of my workouts are in the 60 minute time frame with maybe one or two longer days per week depending on where I'm at in my training plan.

With MFP, you have a calorie deficit built into your calorie goal...net to that goal...MFP is already doing all of the work and math for you. Just eat to your calorie goal. Just be careful not to overestimate your exercise calories. When I was using MFP I ate back about 70 - 80% of what my HRM told me I burned for an aerobic event to account for estimation error.