Calories: Fold, Hold, or Raise?

Options
MFP Collective: I'm interested in your input. Should I be patient and stick with current 1310 net calories? Raise 'em per eat more/weigh less? Or drop 'em per RMR+activity-deficit?

This is the first week where my weight will stay steady or only drop ~1 lb. At 5'6" 212 lbs (& 44%bf), I'm quite obese enough that 2-3 lbs/wk IS a reasonable expectation.

--Doctor-measured RMR was 1100, so I went with 1200 net during December. Around 12/27, I bumped to 1310 as a caloric leap of faith in metabolic elasticity.
--I *prefer* to eat back exercise calories rather than do a TDEE averaging.
--I weigh my food - it's less fuss (for me) than measuring, and my eyeball says a bag of Oreos is ~same as 1/2c of broccoli (in short, not properly calibrated yet)

HUGE increase in stress this week, which got my PTSD flaring up as well as spiking IIH/PTC (intracranial pressure). So, lousy sleep, too.

I can argue plausibly for any of the 3 options, and patience isn't my strong suit, so I'd like y'all's opinion.

Replies

• laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    All I'd say is that if you're not feeling well, definitely don't eat less. 1310 sounds a little low for someone your size, especially if you're exercising.

I'm sure there will be others on here that will be able to give you better advice than me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Given that you're talking about one week of no weight loss (or is it 1lb loss?), and you have noticed a difference in stress levels, I'd keep going where you are. 2 lbs a week is reasonable when you are obese, but weight loss isn't always linear, so I'd give it another few weeks to really see what's happening.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    All I'd say is that if you're not feeling well, definitely don't eat less. 1310 sounds a little low for someone your size, especially if you're exercising.

Physically, I feel fine - the bump from 1200 to 1310 made a world of difference. And I do eat back exercise calories (mostly) :-)
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Same height as you. I've lost over 60 lbs on between 1400-1700 a day, never raising or lowering.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 217lbs and am losing 1-2lbs a week on 1850 cals. I do work out 5-6 times a week. I started at 303lbs and was on 1350cals plus exercise cals and plateaued when I got to around 250lbs. Instead of MFP setting my cals I worked out mt average TDEE and am now eating around a 1000 cals less. It means I'm not hungry and am still losing - works or me!
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Same height as you. I've lost over 60 lbs on between 1400-1700 a day, never raising or lowering.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? Or are does the 1400-1700 include them?
  • Stripeness
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 217lbs and am losing 1-2lbs a week on 1850 cals. I do work out 5-6 times a week. I started at 303lbs and was on 1350cals plus exercise cals and plateaued when I got to around 250lbs. Instead of MFP setting my cals I worked out mt average TDEE and am now eating around a 1000 cals less. It means I'm not hungry and am still losing - works or me!

Interesting, and I'll keep it in mind. Averaging TDEE may be the way to go at some point (most likely when I settle back into a routine). Good to know, and congratulations on your success so far!
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Given that you're talking about one week of no weight loss (or is it 1lb loss?), and you have noticed a difference in stress levels, I'd keep going where you are. 2 lbs a week is reasonable when you are obese, but weight loss isn't always linear, so I'd give it another few weeks to really see what's happening.

I think I will give it at least 1 more week before tweaking. Intellectually I know it's not 100% linear, but when stressed, I like to DO something to bring things (anything) back "under control" - and if it's difficult/painful, so much the better. Thank you for the sanity check :flowerforyou:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6"... So, this is so subjective, but I know my weight will trend downward if my calorie intake over 30 days averages under 2000. This might seem generous to some, but figure that some of those days are light when I feel like going light, heavy when I need more food love. Sometimes I exercise extra, sometimes not. And I might only lose a pound or two a month, but if the general direction is DOWN... It's good.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I think I will give it at least 1 more week before tweaking. Intellectually I know it's not 100% linear, but when stressed, I like to DO something to bring things (anything) back "under control" - and if it's difficult/painful, so much the better. Thank you for the sanity check :flowerforyou:
    I understand the need for a little control when stressed! Look at it this way : if you leave it a couple more weeks, you're going to have much better information to work with than if you change things after only a week. So, better information = more control? Maybe? :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...Should I be patient and stick with current 1310 net calories?...At 5'6" 212 lbs (& 44%bf)...Doctor-measured RMR was 1100...

When I do the numbers, your measured RMR is consistent with a BF level of 60%. So something seems a bit amiss there, but probably not a big deal.

Because the bigger issue is that if you are truly eating at 1310 calories, you would be losing weight. If, over the course of a few weeks, you aren't losing weight, it's time to take a closer look at the food logging side of the equation.

If this has only just happened, I would watch closely but not get too freaked out as blips do happen naturally.
  • Stripeness
    Options
    ...Should I be patient and stick with current 1310 net calories?...At 5'6" 212 lbs (& 44%bf)...Doctor-measured RMR was 1100...

When I do the numbers, your measured RMR is consistent with a BF level of 60%. So something seems a bit amiss there, but probably not a big deal.

Because the bigger issue is that if you are truly eating at 1310 calories, you would be losing weight. If, over the course of a few weeks, you aren't losing weight, it's time to take a closer look at the food logging side of the equation.

If this has only just happened, I would watch closely but not get too freaked out as blips do happen naturally.

Not surprised the numbers are a bit odd. There's more medical history on how I got there, but I like to look at it as just a starting point, with *most* of the issues resolved or in progress.

Food logging is almost OCD quality, and I have been losing weight: ~10 lbs in 4 weeks...so I'll sit tight. Patience is backordered on Amazon, unfortunately. I'm also much more relaxed about blips when closer to a healthy weight. Still, walked off a good bit of the angst, and every little bit helps!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When it comes to patience I'm there with you! However, I do have to remind myself that I didn't consistently put on 2lbs a week so its unlikely I'll consistently lose at that level! It took me 10yrs+ to get as big as I was , I hope it'll only take me a couple of years to get a healthy weight (even if I'd like it even quicker!).

You're doing brilliantly so try not to sweat the small stuff :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing everything right. You won't lose as much every week, unfortunately... just stick to it. Good luck.
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I'm gonna keep everything the same for another couple of weeks before tweaking. Today I took a long nap and then discovered that even if the scale isn't moving:

1. A formerly short skirt now falls well below the knee.
    2. Pants acquired when suit pants were too tight, now fit with 2 pairs of fleece long johns under them.

Nap, NSVs, and a reasonable dinner. Life is good.

Thank you for your perspectives!