How many calories do I need to lose weight?

Options
Hi all,

I found out that for someone my size (5'5'', 147 pounds, female) who wanted to loose 17 pounds, they would have to eat 1430 calories a day. The problem is when I calculate how many cals I need to maintain my weight with my activity level I'd need 2230 cals. (I run 3 miles every other day.)

I know that In order to lose a pound in a week you cut 500 cals out of your diet everyday. So wouldn't I technically be able to eat around 1730 cals and still loose a pound a week? I'm getting mixed messages.

I've been very hungry since I've been running so consistently and 1420 calories will NOT hold me over. Weight loss is getting harder, it seems.

Thank you!

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You do realize that you're supposed to eat back your burned calories...right? Read the MFP FAQs.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i went from 260 to 200 by eating around 1400 calories and i surely never ate back any calories. It was hard to transition my diet, but i started eating foods that were more filling and you can feel satisfied and eat a lower calorie meal. I eat like a large salad with vegetables and grilled chicken, a no fat salad dressing, it's super filling (like 1lb of salad) and that's not much calories, i'd eat soup for lunch and feel satisfied (200 calories), i enjoy oatmeal and find a 200 calorie pack of oatmeal to be pretty filling, i also take protein shakes, i never drank any calories, so i'd drink alot of water, and calorieless drinks, i'd eat lots of fruit and vegetables too. I did this while doing alot of cardio and heavy lifting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    With only 17 pounds to lose, I suggest you set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week. Any faster is too aggressive.

I'm 5 ft. 4 and lost the last bit of my weight on 1640 calories plus my exercise calories.

Set your goals in MFP to lose that half pound a week and your calorie count will increase. Also, eat those exercise calories back on the days your run because they keep your body fueled.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i went from 260 to 200 by eating around 1400 calories and i surely never ate back any calories. It was hard to transition my diet, but i started eating foods that were more filling and you can feel satisfied and eat a lower calorie meal. I eat like a large salad with vegetables and grilled chicken, a no fat salad dressing, it's super filling (like 1lb of salad) and that's not much calories, i'd eat soup for lunch and feel satisfied (200 calories), i enjoy oatmeal and find a 200 calorie pack of oatmeal to be pretty filling, i also take protein shakes, i never drank any calories, so i'd drink alot of water, and calorieless drinks, i'd eat lots of fruit and vegetables too. I did this while doing alot of cardio and heavy lifting.
    Congrats on your weight loss. This is incredible.
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1400 calories does sound very little for such an active person. I'm eating a 250 calorie a day defacit and am losing 1lb every two week.
    It's slow progress but working so far.
    Good luck.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Active Person? I'd say 1600 calories a day :-)

Wish you all the best :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I found out that for someone my size (5'5'', 147 pounds, female) who wanted to loose 17 pounds, they would have to eat 1430 calories a day. The problem is when I calculate how many cals I need to maintain my weight with my activity level I'd need 2230 cals. (I run 3 miles every other day.)

I know that In order to lose a pound in a week you cut 500 cals out of your diet everyday. So wouldn't I technically be able to eat around 1730 cals and still loose a pound a week? I'm getting mixed messages.

I've been very hungry since I've been running so consistently and 1420 calories will NOT hold me over. Weight loss is getting harder, it seems.

Thank you!

Is the 2230 calorie estimate your TDEE (i.e. does it include your weekly exercise burns)? If so, then the 1730 would allow you to lose 1 lb/week (yes, 500x7=3500=about 1lb of fat), which would be more than enough for someone with so little to lose. As you get closer to goal, you should start to reduce the deficit. If the 2300 does NOT include your exercise burns, then you would want to eat 1730 plus a chunk of the exercise calories, so as to not create too large of a deficit.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    As you lose weight, there is less weight to lose and it gets harder so it requires more effort, it's a percentage math thing that I explain poorly. You may or may not know how the site calculates you calories but it calculates that into your totals when you set your profile. "They" say to eat back your Cals when exercising, I tend not to and leave them out there. I walk/jog/run every day and have lost 32# in 50 days and need to lose another 50 more, right now, I am in, what I call, my easy phase, I know it might get harder for me down the line and I am anticipating that I will have to be more active and more vigilant in my eating habits. Hope this helps.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat a different amount of calories everyday. I try to ask myself if I'm legitimately hungry. If I am I eat. Your body will let you know what it needs, some days it requires more, some days less. I eat any where 1200-1600 and I'm losing. I exercise everyday between 30-60 min, some days it's just walking or less active, other days it's running or kickboxing. It varies. I say just listen to your body and eat healthier choices when you are hungry. Drink lots of water, get your rest when you are tired.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go with 1730, at least.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you have a smaller deficit, you'll lose weight more slowly. It's generally recommended to lose weight more slowly if you don't have a lot to lose. Set your goal at .5 lb/week or 1 lb/week weight loss (250- or 500-calorie deficit) and you'll lose the weight. So go ahead and eat 1730 calories/day, it'll just be a bit slower.
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that sites that estimate your calorie needs are doing just that: estimating. You should compare the estimate with your results and adjust your goal accordingly.

I think you could start out with 1 lb./week, but when you get under 10 lbs., switch to 1/2 lb./week. Those last pounds are harder to take off.

As others have said, MFP's model of energy intake and expenditure is based on total daily energy expenditure without exercise. So on the days that you run, add 300 calories to your goal. (MFP will do that automatically when you log the exercise.) You don't necessarily have to eat all the extra calories on the same day, though; you could spread out the calories over running and rest days as long as the weekly total doesn't go over your goal.
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
    Yes I do know that i am supposed to eat back my exersize calories thank you!
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
    Keep in mind that sites that estimate your calorie needs are doing just that: estimating. You should compare the estimate with your results and adjust your goal accordingly.

I think you could start out with 1 lb./week, but when you get under 10 lbs., switch to 1/2 lb./week. Those last pounds are harder to take off.

As others have said, MFP's model of energy intake and expenditure is based on total daily energy expenditure without exercise. So on the days that you run, add 300 calories to your goal. (MFP will do that automatically when you log the exercise.) You don't necessarily have to eat all the extra calories on the same day, though; you could spread out the calories over running and rest days as long as the weekly total doesn't go over your goal.

That's interesting! I've never thought of saving some of my running day calories for the next day. I find that on rest days Im still so hungry. Thank you!