So confused by my weight :(

Options
I've been working out and logging since mid November 2013. I really need to lose 30 pounds. I am 5ft and the last time I checked the scales back in November I weighed 161 lbs now I weigh 157 lbs. I was really hoping for more weight loss than this by now.

I think the main reason I feel so confused is because I can fit a UK size 10 (US 6) jean something that someone who would be 30 pounds lighter than me would wear also throughout November and December with the exception of the week after Christmas I worked out every day with the cross trainer/elliptical while using hand weights and I recently started the 30 day shred this time last week.

I can feel my bones when I lie down and everything, my double chin is pretty much gone and my legs have got considerably smaller. I highly doubt that I've gained muscle because I'm only eating 1200 cals and please don't talk to me about starvation mode because I know it doesn't really exist.

I guess I must admit I'm just really disappointed. 4 lbs weight loss really seems like a bit of a joke and to be honest its just making me really sad because for the first time I am actually trying to lose in the right way and it so frustrating not seeing results. Part of me just wants to do the master cleanse again and I know weight isn't everything but for my height my weight makes me obese :(

For those that must know my measurements my hips are 35.5 down from 36 and my waist is just under 29 - it fluctuates between 28.5 and 30 but I want it to be 27.

EDIT: Just did this and it told me I have 34 pounds of fat on my body - I guess this means I can't even lose 30 pounds which means I can never fit into my BMI.

v48jo3.png

Replies

• tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just something to ponder, if you have gotten smaller and fit into a size someone 30 lbs smaller would wear, then why does the number on the scale matter? Also, are you sure that you're taking in the calories you think. Are you using a food scale and/or measuring your foods? Finally, are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you might not be getting enough calories.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just something to ponder, if you have gotten smaller and fit into a size someone 30 lbs smaller would wear, then why does the number on the scale matter? Also, are you sure that you're taking in the calories you think. Are you using a food scale and/or measuring your foods? Finally, are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you might not be getting enough calories.

It matters because I want to be a healthy weight - there is no way I should weigh 11 stone - thats just ridiculous. Yes I am only taking in the calories I think - yes I measure. No I don't eat back my cals otherwise whats the point in exercising - I'm exercising to burn more.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 or 2", and it took me an entire year to lose 20 lbs. You're losing a half pound a week, which is great.

Weight loss is like yoga. Don't compare yourself to anybody else. Compare yourself today to where you were yesterday, last week, last month, and last year. You've taken control of your eating and your exercise, and you're making healthier choices. That's huge! You're going to feel so much better this spring than you did last year.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error. This post contains a lot of the information I learned the hard way. I wish it'd been around when I started. And I wish I'd taken before photos! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. It takes a while for your body to catch up to the fat loss. You've gotten smaller...Great! I think sometimes your cells hold on to a little water, until they adjust, shrink, and then boom, suddenly you'll drop a few pounds. At least that's what happened for me. Just don't quit. Keep exercising, it helps tighten everything up and keeps your metabolism burning so you keep losing... and keep making sure you fuel your body, so it CAN burn off your excess energy storage... :) If you're eating at a deficit you WILL lose weight. Sometimes it just takes a while to see it on the scale. :)
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and 3-5lbs away from a "healthy" BMI and your measurements are the same as mine- so i'd definitely say you don't reflect your weight. I'm currently 140-142. Really don't focus on the scale too much. Is there a gym or a friend that could measure your body fat %? It could simply be that you are more muscle than you think.
    It's very hard for short people- and although you may feel it you aren't that far away from "healthy" weight. I've lost 14lbs in 6 months. I eat 14-1500 calories a day after I've eaten back my exercise calories. Feel free to add me for support. I found the first 6 lbs heartbreaking because it was so slow; now i just embrace that even thought the scales don't reflect my effort I know I'm healthier and stronger.
    You seem to have very strong opinions about 1200 calories, so I'm not going to tell you what is best for you; however When I ate 1200 calories and was netting even less after exercise I lost nothing for 7 weeks, the week that I upped my calories to 1380 NET I started to lose 1lb per 10 days consistently, just personally eating so little really hindered my process as my body struggled. For me I have to eat at least my BMR.
    Good luck; if you stick at it you WILL get where you want to be x
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options

It matters because I want to be a healthy weight - there is no way I should weigh 11 stone - thats just ridiculous. Yes I am only taking in the calories I think - yes I measure. No I don't eat back my cals otherwise whats the point in exercising - I'm exercising to burn more.

You should eat back at least some of your exercise calories because 1200 is already pretty low, and if you're only netting under 1000 after exercising that could be part of why you're not losing. I'd read the info on the link that was posted on the guide to sexy pants, you'll find some very helpful information. I'm not an expert by any means and I'm a few inches taller than you but I have lost over 50 pounds this past year and have learned a few things along the way, partly by reading and listening to others who do know what they are talking about and partly by having to play around with my calorie intake and exercise to find what worked for me. At times it would take weeks to get it right. Best of luck to you.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I've been here a looong time and you don't have much to lose. If you want to jump it up a bit do more cardio like zumba. I do zumba at home. Also invest in a HRM, I have a wrist one (epulse 2) & it's great. When you eat more and exercise more it seems to really work getting your body to lose weight. Based on your diary of barely 1200 or less cals a day, it seems that your body could be in starvation mode. It becomes quite a shock to the system to eat less. So my advice is to eat "more", log cals and cardio & weight train more. Hope this helps! :)
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I admit I was slightly dying on 1200. I think its partly why I got ill over the weekend when I rarely get ill. I have upped my daily intake to 1450 - I still don't want to eat back my exercise cals though. I think I am going to aim to lose 15 pounds of body fat to get my bf percentage down to 15%.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I admit I was slightly dying on 1200. I think its partly why I got ill over the weekend when I rarely get ill. I have upped my daily intake to 1450 - I still don't want to eat back my exercise cals though. I think I am going to aim to lose 15 pounds of body fat to get my bf percentage down to 15%.

15% bodyfat is low for a woman, and you will probably struggle to maintain that level long term....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My gut reaction is that you just happened to weigh yourself a day when you are retaining water, and you've probably lost more than that.

For the body fat calculations... it's probably not very accurate. I know I can't measure myself properly, so you might be off. Do it again, but I don't think just going by measurements is really accurate anyway.