Chia seeds

Options
Can anyone please explain chia seeds to me? Are they for weight loss or gain?

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    They are food.

They are a seed so, like most seeds/nuts fairly high in calories.

They have lots of other good things in them, as a vegetarian I like them because they're good for protein.
  • Katyohara
    Katyohara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they are for loss.
  • Katyohara
    Katyohara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Chia: Ancient Super-Seed Secret | The Dr. Oz Show
    www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd.../chia-ancient-super-secret‎
    Oct 14, 2011 - Long ago, before the Spanish conquest of Latin America – and well before the Ch-ch-ch-chia Pet was born – chia seeds were a staple food, ...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    They are food.

+1

And any food is for weight loss OR gain, depending on how much you eat of it.
    The only thing that will cause you to lose weight is a calorie deficit. :smile:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3s and help you stay hydrated and satiated because they absorb up to 10x their weight in water. They can help you lose or gain weight depending on how many total calories you eat. If you eat them in a calorie deficit, then you will lose, if you eat them and you are in a calorie surplus, they will help you gain:)
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    same here.. they are good for protein

i throw in smoothies.. sometimes baking as a binder.. i dont use eggs.

they make a yummy chia pudding.. 1/4 cup chia seeds, cocoa powder. 1/2 cup nut milk.. . some dates paste. banana whatever to sweeten it.. than top with fresh strawberries and coconut.. you can layer it in a wine glass for a dessert.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    Chia seeds are from the sage plant.When you are on a diet, you need all the nutrients you can get. Chia seeds provide vitamins and minerals. They contain high amounts of calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium and zinc. Native to Mexico, they contain more omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds. Chia seeds contain soluable fiber that may help suppress hunger. An ounce of chia seeds has 137 calories and 11 grams of fiber. For people on the New Zealand Fiber and Protein Diet, chia seeds are an easy way to supplement your diet. If you are having one tablespoon, chia seeds have no sugar, 2 grams protein, 68 calories, 5.5 grams of fiber, B vitamins, 9 percent calcium, 7 percent iron and only 2.5 mg sodium. To lose weight with chia seeds, have the chia seeds for breakfast and prior to each meal. Drink with plenty of water. The chia seeds should provide energy for your workout and keep you satisfied so you don't snack or overeat.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Thank you, all. I'm trying to lose, so I eat at a deficit. I just asked about gain bc someone I know said he's trying to gain so he's adding chia seeds. Just wanted to make sure!

Wow! These things are power packed with nutrients apparently! I just ate them in Greek yogurt and they don't taste like anything!! :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon to my yogurt for additional protein and fiber.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The ones I bought said to soak them in water. The puff up much like the way topioca (sp) puffs up in water. Only the don't get as squishy. They have more fiber to them. The bag recommended to add them to a glass of water, let them soak to puff up. Drink the glass. This would help make you feel more full so you ate less at a meal. They absorb water so they help keep water in you longer, releasing it as it goes through your system, to keep you better hydrated. They were fun to drink through a straw, a little like drinking bubble drinks. If you don't like bubble drinks you won't like drinking the seeds. I didn't notice any difference with them. But I've never used them on foods before.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they are for loss.
    There are no foods targeted specifically for weight loss, there is just food.

The only problem is for me is I keep getting images of chia pets. If I eat chia seeds will I become a chia pet? :bigsmile:

ChiaGarfield.jpg
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are amazing!

I like the Mamma Chia drinks and squeeze pouches from Wholefoods, but I also bought a bag of seeds as well.

Yesterday I added just 1/2 a teaspoon to my lunchtime protein shake (making sure to add a little extra water also). Boy, was I full all afternoon! I'm really thinking of switching my shake for breakfast so I can eat lunch a little later, but I do like my morning coffee....LOL.
  • Sugarnspice1922
    Sugarnspice1922 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just discoverred this mamma chia drinks!
    Where can you just get chia seeds??
    my doctor recommended chia seeds for omega 3