Advice on getting results

Options
Hi all,

I have a BMI in the healthy range (22) but looking to shave some fat off - ideally around 10-14 lbs more (I'm 5'9" so can take it) and tone up as I don't like my muffin tops/chubby thighs. I've started running 5K 3x/week plus doing runtastic squats and six-pack apps regularly, with the occasional Pilates YouTube video and swim. Is this enough to get the results I want or should I be buying a set of dumb bells to add in weights training? I've just downloaded sworkit and hot5 for further calisthenics, but is strength training really important?
I don't want to sign up to a gym as I'm better at committing to a home program.

Thanks all!
Hayley

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your exercise program sounds pretty good, a nice mix of cardio and resistance training. i wouldn't waste a lot of time on direct ab work though, as it can make the muscle under that fluff protrude more, making your stomach look bigger.

dumb bells can be useful, but i'd recommend kettlebells as they can be a little more versatile, and really really hit your core and legs.

but first and foremost it's all about your calorie deficit. the muffin top and chubby thighs will slim down with eating just a little less.
  • haymck123
    haymck123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's really helpful. Definitely following a calorie deficit - my TDEE is 2000 and taking in a net of 1500 at the moment. I would quite like a toned look (like Tracey Anderson / Gwyneth) and wondered whether this was possible without weights..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Thanks that's really helpful. Definitely following a calorie deficit - my TDEE is 2000 and taking in a net of 1500 at the moment. I would quite like a toned look (like Tracey Anderson / Gwyneth) and wondered whether this was possible without weights..

tdee-20% is what most people find works best. that would make it 1600 for you. i know not a big difference, but just saying you have a little more leeway. don't eat back your exercise calories if thats how you are doing. and on days that you still are hungry and eat more, that's okay, because you can still come in under a deficit if you come in under 2000.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

tdee-20% is what most people find works best. that would make it 1600 for you. i know not a big difference, but just saying you have a little more leeway. don't eat back your exercise calories if thats how you are doing. and on days that you still are hungry and eat more, that's okay, because you can still come in under a deficit if you come in under 2000.

FIFY. I think you meant 1600, right?

2000 minus 20% would be 1600.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

FIFY. I think you meant 1600, right?

2000 minus 20% would be 1600.

i think i meant to write that it would be 100 more for OP.
  • haymck123
    haymck123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my exercise calories, is that bad? So on a run day I might burn say 400 cals but you think I should still eat say 1600 coming in at a net of 1200? One of the things that motivates me to exercise is that it means I win back calories for dinner! I eat *loads* in the morning so often only have 200 cals left by the time it's 6pm..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    no. you mainly have two options in regards to eating. you can calculate your deficit and add your daily exercise calories as they come. you can eat as much as they allow you.

the other is tdee-20%. you consistently eat at that amount, no matter what. you enter your exercise as just "one calorie burned" and thats that.

both work.