BMR / Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activity

Options
Quick question, but what's the difference between these?

I had assumed that BMR basically was 'calories burned from normal daily activity'.

But MFP calculated my BMR at 1579, and in my Goals section gives a figure of 1970 as 'calories burned from normal activity'.

Thanks.

Replies

• millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - the calories your body uses if you were in a coma or just sleeping all day. The higher number you have is because you are doing more than just sleeping all day. Even sitting on the couch will use slightly more calories, and the more you move around the more calories your body burns.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - the calories your body uses if you were in a coma or just sleeping all day. The higher number you have is because you are doing more than just sleeping all day. Even sitting on the couch will use slightly more calories, and the more you move around the more calories your body burns.
    ^^^This. The 1,970 calories is determined by the activity level you chose in your profile: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = the caloric requirements of your heart, lung, kidneys, GI tract, circulatory system, central nervous system, basic maintenance on the skeleto-muscular system. The skeleton crew of bare maintenance.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = "calories burned by daily activity". Includes calories burned by walking to bathroom, showering, walking to car, going to work, playing a game of pick-up basketball at lunch, whatever you do during the day. All these activities - such as washing dishes - burn minute amounts of calories, but they do add up. The difference between your TDEE and BMR is contingent on how active you are during the day.
  • johngordon14
    Options
    Thanks - that all makes sense.

BMR : if I literally say on my backside for 24 hours.

TDEE : BMR + a modest amount for a sedentary day.
  • VRotberg
    VRotberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    so would it be more conservative and "safe" to say sedentary, that way you don't overestiamte the calories you burn in a day?
  • kimrichardson1
    kimrichardson1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. It's best to be honest and alter the amount you would like to loose per week. Otherwise your setting yourself up for torture and a likely fainting spell if not careful. I would say sedentary if you're basically home bound only.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    VRotberg wrote: »
    so would it be more conservative and "safe" to say sedentary, that way you don't overestiamte the calories you burn in a day?

If you truly are sedentary (desk job, drive to and from work, don't move around much) then yes, you should use that as your activity level. If you move around a lot during the day as part of your normal non-workout activity, say, with a job that requires you to be on your feet a lot, or a more active commuting method, or just walking a lot, then put a higher level.

Remember to log your workouts and eat back your exercise calories on top of that. MFP doesn't account for going to the gym in activity level.