What to do when you R sick?

29bubbles
29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm feeling horrible... chills, sore throat, oh so tired, etc. I went to the doctor and they took my co-pay then said "get some rest".. ARRGH! I thought for sure I had strep throat or something b/c I'm so misserable...

So anyway....

I'm still counting calls.. but not getting in any gym time.... been eating more popscicles then I should b/c my throat is just aweful...

I find myself wanting the bad junk food... a comfort thing (?) maybe b/c although I'd like to hang on the sofa and sleep... I can't.

What do you all do when you have a virus-y thing and feel horrible?? ??? I'm not very hungry.. but then I get my kids McDeath (treat for letting me rest) and all I want to do is dive into the fries! I made irish oatmeal this a.m. and could barely eat any of it.....I FORCED myself to eat what I could of it. Is my body craving junk for some reason??

I'm trying hard to keep it together while feeling terrible and not being able to work out... any tips?? How do you get through this kinda of thing ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    well sounds like you have what i had a few weeks ago. i tried to push through it but rest was the best thing. drink lots of fluids tea seemed to help. if i wasnt up for walking i did yoga but if you feel tired just rest and get back on board asap. hope youre feeling better soon.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    I rest when I am sick - I don't do anything I don't feel up to doing. I also try to eat less because my body has enough to do to get well without having to digest food as well.
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    If you are sick..... get rest, drink fluids and dont stress over the calories..... just worry about getting better.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Rest, drink plenty of water. When I'm sick I love Chic-Fil -A Chicken noodle soup, and chicken salad sandwich. It is my sick guilty pleasure. I usually can't eat much else, I stock up on 100 calorie soups during the winter months, heat up and eat feels great on the throat and doesn't hurt your calories while you are resting. I suck on crushed ice, drink hot tea with honey. Don't beat yourself up about a few fires, just don't over do it.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Don't stress over calories! Obviously, you shouldn't be eating crappy junk food, the goal should be to give your body everything it needs to fight the infection. Soup is a fantastic vessel for nutrients, and it takes very little effort to prepare from fresh if you don't want to get it from a can. Keep up your fluid intake and don't force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry... at the end of the day, your body knows best, and you'll benefit from hanging the diet for a few days in order to heal up. Get well soon!!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Drink plenty of fluids and honestly I don't worry about what I eat when I;m sick. (to a degree) Sometimes your body tells you what you need. Don't sweat it if you eat some comfort food. Just worry about getting better then worry about the food and exercise.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Absolutely don't worry about the exercise! When you are that sick you need rest, rest, and more rest. The best thing for you is the fluids. I agree that sometimes when I'm sick I just want to dive into the junk food, but that really is a search for comfort--and you aren't going to find comfort in the junk food. All you find is guilt.

It's so hard for moms trying to watch a family with one eye and get some rest with the other. Sure you should try to count the calories and keep from going crazy, but you should also recognize that a few popsicles more or less while you are sick are not going to make you obese--it's what we do the rest of the time!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    :flowerforyou: Nothing worse than feeling unwell :frown: hope you get better soon :heart:

When I feel out of sorts I usually grab some ground rice it's within my cals and tastes so yummy :bigsmile:

Tesco - Ground Rice, 25 g 93 0 20 2 0 0
    Chellie's Avonmore - Skimline Milk Fat Free, 300 ml 123 300 17 11 1 0
    Tesco - Reduced Sugar Apricot Jam, 1.5 teaspoon 39 0 9 0 0 0

Calories Sodium Carbs Protein Sat Fat Fiber
    255 300 46 13 1 0

Also try and drink loads of liquids :wink:
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    When I'm sick - properly sick, not man-sick - I rest, drink water, have soup and light stuff and tend to lose a few pounds in a couple of days easily - so celebrate ;)
This discussion has been closed.