Help me pick a goal weight.

Options
43 years old. Female. 5'4". Very large/stocky frame, lots of muscle under my fluff. Often described as "built like a brick *kitten* house." Wide shoulders, wide hips, big hands and big feet.

Current weight is 215. Start weight was 232.

Lowest weight as an adult was 131 at 18.

"Fighting" weight in college ( I was a competitive swimmer) was 140 to 150, but I was also swimming at least 90 minutes a day, running and lifting.

Right now I'm aiming for 165 and then seeing how I look and feel. Is that too high?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd go for 150, but that's me. You can always adjust as you lose weight anyway.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think that's a perfect goal for now, and once you get there, decided if that's right for you or to keep losing more.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would just adjust your goals as you go along. For me, at 5'4, every 10 lbs is a dress size so I'll be happy with each 10 lbs that I lose. Heck, I'm happy with each 5 lbs lost. LOL.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think that's a perfect goal for now, and once you get there, decided if that's right for you or to keep losing more.

Thank you.

I see all these posters that are my height who weigh 115 and I wonder what the hell is wrong with me.
  • meganuhl1
    meganuhl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    my starting weight was over 300 and I'm 5'7. I thought I had the wide shoulders, big hands, and big feet (couldn't find womens shoes that fit so I wore a size 10 1/2 EEE in a mens). I'm finding now that everything is shrinking down along with weight loss. My last pair of shoes for work I bought were a size 11 in womens NO WIDE WIDTHS!!!! ( only reason so long is cuz I have to wear steal toes and I like them a size bigger than my regular shoes) My work gloves have shrunk from XL to M. You may find you are smaller framed than you think :wink:
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    my starting weight was over 300 and I'm 5'7. I thought I had the wide shoulders, big hands, and big feet (couldn't find womens shoes that fit so I wore a size 10 1/2 EEE in a mens). I'm finding now that everything is shrinking down along with weight loss. My last pair of shoes for work I bought were a size 11 in womens NO WIDE WIDTHS!!!! ( only reason so long is cuz I have to wear steal toes and I like them a size bigger than my regular shoes) My work gloves have shrunk from XL to M. You may find you are smaller framed than you think :wink:

I've always had big hands, feet, shoulders, and hips, even when I weighed 140.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3 1/2 " (the half counts lol) and I am also built fairly solid with wide set shoulders and a bigger frame. I used to get discouraged when I saw a lot of people my height with much lower goal weights than me. My goal used to be 145 but I am thinking on pushing it to 140 or maybe 135 at the lowest. I learned that it is all about what is right for you, not others. No one sees the number on your scale and with a solid build you can look much lighter than you actually are! Many people can't believe I am currently 150 pounds because I carry my weight very well. I agree with others that you should take it 10 pounds at a time and see how you feel. I suspect you will be very happy somewhere around 140-160 pounds depending on your goals.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The thing about having a "goal weight" is that when you get there...you can always change it if you aren't happy.