Weighing in

Options
swissmish
swissmish Posts: 183 Member
I was wondering how often everyone weighs in? And often you weigh yourself?

Replies

• 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer*I've been struggling with overeating and being overweight for about 3 years now so I don't claim to know what is best.

I really try to stick to no more than once a week. I only say this because from my personal experience, if I weigh more than that, I may actually see a gain between a day or two on the scale and that always discourages me. I know that if I stick to my exercise and nutrition goals then I should see some kind of loss over the course of seven days. I like to weigh on Saturday mornings after going all week doing right. That way, I have Saturday or Sunday to pick a meal that I've really been missing (I still keep in mind not to over-indulge though), and it gives me a whole week before I see the scale again and I don't have to know what the scale did after eating that meal. This may sound strange to some, but it's what works for me. I've really resolved to not worry about the scale this go 'round and just focus on changing the habits that I've spent three years perfecting.

I hope you find something that works :)
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I decided I would record my weight only once a week on Sundays starting this year. However, I sometimes get curious and check my weight throughout the week. I think it's what works for you. As long as you don't lose motivation seeing the numbers fluctuate up & down then no harm checking more often.
  • 1cafeaulait
    1cafeaulait Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    New here and I was thinking about this very thing today. I've decided on once a week. I don't want to become obsessed or discouraged.
  • susan8144
    Options
    call me crazy, but I weight myself 5 times throughout the day, the one i record in is in the morning... the rest are just to monitor gain or loss throughout the day... I find that becoming completely obsessed with losing the weight helps me stay persistent and i have had success, (15 lbs) lost... whatever works i guess.. lol :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every 2 weeks, on sundays at the gym after my workout. i'm usually in my bathing suit too because i weigh in before i get in the sauna/steam room.

i'm really not that concerned with scale weight though, i get more excited with clothes fitting looser or getting into smaller sizes. i think that's a big factor why i'm really not that motivated to weight in more than 2 a month
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    I weight myself every day, it helps keep me focused on the goal.. seriously get a scale that goes to the fraction of a pound it motivates me for whatever reason. Weight yourself at the same time each morning. I have yet to wake up heavier than the day prior, keep your eyes on the prize
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only record my weight on Mondays. I take my measurements every month on the first :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm at a point where the scale doesn't have an effect on my moods, so I weigh almost every day. In the beginning, that wasn't the case. A few years ago not seeing a drop or seeing an increase would put me in a bad mood. I've had two pregnancies since I started here in 2012 and that, coupled with increased knowledge of nutrition and how the body works have changed my way of thinking. I get on the scale out of curiosity, not because I'm expecting or hoping for anything in particular.
  • asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I weigh in less. So I aim for every few days. I want to track more than weekly to see if I need to adjust mid-week, but daily isn't helpful for me (and a lot of women have times of the month when weight fluctuates really easily).
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I decided I would record my weight only once a week on Sundays starting this year. However, I sometimes get curious and check my weight throughout the week. I think it's what works for you. As long as you don't lose motivation seeing the numbers fluctuate up & down then no harm checking more often.

This- I actually like to check more than once a week because I really like numbers and to see how some foods cause weight fluctuation through water retention (for example, last night, I didn't go over my goal, but had pizza and wine. Today I'm retaining water and am up a pound and a half. Tomorrow I won't be. I like to know these things).
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I weigh every am and only record losses. That's what works for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    probably once a month
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    once a week
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I weight in every Friday after I get my workout complete, used to do it everyday and then I just got to down on myself if I gained even the smallest of weight. So finally said put the scale away so I can't see it and then just do it every Fri. If I gain some I gain some, just kind of tells me to get better that next week, but so far I have done a decent job, and also with a weight in on Fri. I can enjoy my weekend and just get back to good eating on Sundays and get ready for that next week to come and work even harder!!!
  • teresapooh98
    teresapooh98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My weigh in is on Sunday and I usually weigh myself only once during the week and that is usually on Wednesday and that works for me.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    New here and I was thinking about this very thing today. I've decided on once a week. I don't want to become obsessed or discouraged.

I know exactly what you mean, I try my best to hide my scale and only weigh in once a week but it never happens that way.
    I know by the end of this month, I will start to see less of a difference on the scale so I am keeping my tape handy and redoing my measurements. It's tough, building muscle, losing fat and staring at numbers on a machine that cannot possibly translate true health. Don't let it get you down. I've also been journaling my feelings, how I feel after a workout, how I feel when faced with a stressful situation (that would usually make me freak out).

Whatever you do, don't let the numbers define you.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I weigh myself every day (unless I'm travelling without my scale) AND I post my weight, good or bad, on MFP every day - it keeps me focused.

Officially, I am doing it *wrong" but I've been maintaining for years, soooooooooo . . . it's right for me.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everyone will handle this topic differently. What worked for me was daily weigh ins in morning. I would only count my Sunday morning weigh in. If you can handle the daily changes its can good way to learn your body. I lost 50 pounds in 3 1/2 months so it worked for me.
  • pebbles71466
    Options
    I weigh everyday.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Once a day. First thing in the morning.