anyone else with a meat intolerance?

Options
wordena
wordena Posts: 177 Member
I've come to the conclusion after years of near daily stomach pain that I have a meat intolerance. Ive stoped eating meat for nearly 9months now. Every time I slip up and eat meat, bam a few hours later stomach paaaain. Does anyone else have this problem? What do they do aabout it. I now maintain a nearly vegetarian diet. And have had very little pain these last months.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Wow, does this happen with all sources of animal proteins (beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish, seafood, etc)?
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should have an allergy test done by your doctor. I also suffered from digestive symptoms for several years but improved on a vegetarian diet. Turns out I was allergic to eggs, and I'm feeling much better now that I've eliminated them from my diet.

But it was difficult to determine what foods were triggering my symptoms because eggs are used in so many processed foods. Allergy tests aren't 100% accurate either, but luckily for me the test plus the elimination diet worked to diagnose my allergy.
  • wordena
    Options
    I eat some small amounts of broths and very small amounts of seafood, sushi so not more than 3oz on occasion abd do okay. But meat is a real no go digestively. I've cut out milk as well, but mainly for financial reasons but I do eat qute a few eggs. Havent been allergy tested by a doctor. But the sudden stop from years of stomach cramping is telling me I must be doing something right. It doesn't mean that I don't want to a nice beef roast, and sometimes I do give in but always end up regretting it later.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    my body rejects boiled crawfish due to the infrequency with which i get to eat it now that I no longer live in LA...
  • wordena
    Options
    I wish the stomach problems came from the lack meat in my diet. Before this I was a real meater. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do.
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't digest beef properly. Every other meat is fine, even pork, but beef just sits in my stomach for hours and hours and does cause some discomfort. Maybe I'm missing some kind of enzyme, I don't know.
  • wordena
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    I wish the stomach problems came from the lack meat in my diet. Before this I was a real meater. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

I wonder if you can "teach" your body to eat meat again. Like eat one teaspoon of ground beef with other stuff every day for a few weeks. Then move that up to two teaspoons, then a tablespoon, and so on. I know people who have done this with mild reactions to eggs, where they started with half a teaspoon and gradually moved up to eating an entire boiled egg. It takes a few months as you gradually build up the dosage, but possible if your digestive system is "trainable".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't digest beef properly. Every other meat is fine, even pork, but beef just sits in my stomach for hours and hours and does cause some discomfort. Maybe I'm missing some kind of enzyme, I don't know.

I would cry myself to bed every night.

Seriously... I am sorry for you both. This is sad.

sad-panda.jpg
  • wordena
    Options
    I suppose I could try one teaspoon at a time. Would be very tempting to just stop at a teaspoon
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    I suppose I could try one teaspoon at a time. Would be very tempting to just stop at a teaspoon

It might work. You provided a clue when you said you used to be a meat eater. Perhaps your digestive system changed somehow (illness, stress, age, medicine, etc) and you need to get it back to where it was. Sometimes, a change in the microbes in the digestive system can have a huge impact to ability to digest and or absorb nutrients from food. It looks like you may have a chance to bring yourself back to where you were. I wish you lots of luck.
  • KatnKandy
    KatnKandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would see a Gastroenterologist. I have been seeing one for awhile and it's really helped. I would have moments when I couldn't tolerate anything I ate and vomit for days or I would have the stomach pain of all heck! I found out I had acid reflux and I had Gall Bladder Stones which I had to get removed.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion after years of near daily stomach pain that I have a meat intolerance. Ive stoped eating meat for nearly 9months now. Every time I slip up and eat meat, bam a few hours later stomach paaaain. Does anyone else have this problem? What do they do aabout it. I now maintain a nearly vegetarian diet. And have had very little pain these last months.

You are not alone. I LOVE meat.....my Crohns does not. A few bites of meat or seafood (or broth, or beef/chicken gravy), of any kind, and instant pain/diarrhea. Eating meat actually put me into my last flare (we hadn't figured out that it was a trigger yet). It's just one thing in a long long list of foods my body hates.

And there isn't much to do about it...I also eat a vegetarian diet and just look on sadly as my family enjoys delicious animal products lol.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I don't digest it properly. In fact stool tests have shown that it actually passes through undigested.

It is all meat. Eggs are okay in baking and I can have an odd one here or there, but an omelette is not great. I can have dairy in moderation. Fish is iffy, tinned tuna and white fish are okay, salmon is not. Seafood again in reasonable portions.

My gastro doctor suggested to cut it out for 12 months and then see whether it can be reintroduced. I had problems with it for the last 5 years, but meat wasn't identified as the culprit until last year. Before that I was on the low FODMAP diet for IBS and when it didn't solve the issue my old doctor suggested that it was user error. It was accidental that I found what the cause of my pain though now I would really like to figure out what exactly causes this issue with meat and whether it is something that will eventually get better or get cured so to speak.

I call myself a reluctant vegetarian :-)
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a slight intolerance to most red meats (beef seems to be the worst for me). I can sometimes eat a bit but never very much. Luckily I seem to be fine with poultry so I mostly just stick to chicken. I don't usually get stomach pains, just an upset stomach and diarrhea so I tend to usually just steer clear of red meat.
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh god. That sounds horrendous.
    I wouldn't want to live without bacon in my life :brokenheart:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for most of my life, and I do get an upset stomach when I accidentally eat something with meat ingredients (for example, risotto or soup in restaurants is often made with chicken stock). If that's an intolerance, then yes, but I think my body would get used to processing meat if I started eating it regularly.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. This happens with all kinds of meat? Have you tried with chicken or turkey?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Red meat. I can eat small amounts every once in awhile, but I try to avoid it. Not worth the side effects.