Need to lose about 100 lbs (No Thyroid either)

Options
I am asking this for my wife. She wants to lose about 100 lbs. She also has no thyroid and takes Armour Thyroid for a daily medication. I know everyone is different and what works for one my not for another. But I am trying to help her find easy ways to stay focused, stay on track, stay motivated, etc.

For those of you that have been down this road, or are currently on this road; any thoughts on what is a good way to start?

How much cardio should you ultimately try to do a week? What exercises and tips can she use to prevent excess skin with weight loss? Any other tips and ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
She does have a my fitness pal account, but she doesn't really use it much.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am asking this for my wife. She wants to lose about 100 lbs. She also has no thyroid and takes Armour Thyroid for a daily medication. I know everyone is different and what works for one my not for another. But I am trying to help her find easy ways to stay focused, stay on track, stay motivated, etc.

For those of you that have been down this road, or are currently on this road; any thoughts on what is a good way to start?

How much cardio should you ultimately try to do a week? What exercises and tips can she use to prevent excess skin with weight loss? Any other tips and ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
    She does have a my fitness pal account, but she doesn't really use it much.

Everyone is different, I lost my thyroid over 25 years ago. It is extremely hard to lose weight, but not impossible. For me, I have to exercise really hard to lose weight and have watch what I eat to keep the weight off. I have lost 24 pounds since February 2013, could have lost more, but it is very trying.

For my diet, I do not eat any processed food, watch my sodium intake, keep my fat low, but still enjoy foods cooked with olive oil and coconut oil, watch my sugar intake (get most of my sugar from fruits), eat too many carbs, but I just love them, try and stay away from the white stuff (white bread, too much white potatoes).

I gave up eating meat and chicken over 25 years ago (that was my personal choice), only eat fish from salt water, no tofu or soy. I do cardio (step aerobics, lots of walking in the Spring and Summer), but I find the more strenuous the exercise the more weight I lose (walking barely cuts it for me, weight training etc. I take synthroid daily and really pay attention to my diet and make sure that I get some kind of exercise in during the week.
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My doctors have recommended that I follow the American Heart Association's guidelines. I am on Synthroid after having radioactive iodine treatment last March. I track everything I eat and drink. I try to do some form of exercise everyday. My doctor also suggested I take (or have my partner take) a photo of myself once a month to track progress. He said it would help me see that I am changing my body even if the scale does not move as fast as I would like.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism