Body looks great-- face looks thin and sick!

Options
Before I hurt my tailbone and had to take a break (right before the holidays too... I didn't just fall off the wagon, I jumped off and rolled around in the road for a while.) I was on maintenance, had abs, great endurance and muscle tone, and was very happy with my body. I was less happy with my face. My skin was loose, my face looked very thin and a bit jowly, loose skin under my eyes, and I had two big bulges in my forehead, which google told me were blood vessels that are visible in very thin people. I hate them! In every one of my wedding pictures. As long as you don't look at my face, I looked great. And I had lost no weight-- just swapped fat for muscle.

Now, the pants fit just a bit tighter, nothing dramatic but I notice it and hate it, my waist is less defined-- but my face looks more filled out and generally better. Can I have both??? I can't... I don't know, build muscle in my face or something can I?

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I think this is an interesting question.

OP, I broke my tailbone in Nov 2012. I know your pain. I hope all goes well.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Usually women face the trade-off as they get older.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/aging-advice
  • medeering14
    medeering14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting, but...I'm 27, exercise indoors, and have fluctuated about four pounds since high school. Just gained and lost muscle. Sounds like I'm losing the genetic lottery. Yay me.
  • GumbieBEN
    GumbieBEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I lost 25kgs my face started looking hollow and unwell.... Whilst friends complimented me on my weight loss they said things like 'don't loose any more from your face!'... 6months later my face has filled back out. Whilst the rest of me is still thinning out.... It's as if the skin had sagged in without the fat.... But over time got tighter again.... Friends now comment on how overall healthy I look..... So I wouldn't worry.... I even asked my Doctor about it and they said the skin and flesh everywhere will take time to adjust but eventually tighten over the fitter frame..... Just keep an eye on all those nutrients to make sure the skin is getting everything it needs.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue :\ when I had about 10kg more fat on me my cheeks were fully and I just looked so much healthier and happier facially! I am very pale with high cheek bones so now I look pretty gaunt and unfriendly.
    Unfortunately we just can't have it all!
    Makeup tricks are the only solution haha A bit of bronzer around the jawline makes that part at least look less 'jowl' like :wink:
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well you can have both - if you are willing to pay for cosmetic surgery fat injections into your face :wink:

If it is a choice between having a healthy more filled out face or slightly bigger legs/waist I would definately aim to have more fat in my face. A thin, gaunt face is very ageing and makes you look ill. I would rather look younger, healthy and happy than old, gaunt and grumpy even if it meant a few extra kilos around the waist.

You could aim to do heavier workouts at the gym as well to build more muscle in your body to compensate for the increased fat in your face perhaps?

P.S, I have had the fat injections into my face to fill it out more after losing a lot of weight on a low carb diet I went on a few years ago and it really did work - I looked much younger and healthier. Thinking about doing it again actually...
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    what about facial yoga?
    (it is real and many swear by it)
    otherwise take care of the skin you are young use a good facial routine and the skin should shrink to fit again
    I use avacado oil with a small amount of white thyme oil takes care of acne and wrinkles
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I know you said your face but my neck has gotten tighter using that As Seen On TV neck exerciser. Crazy but it works for me. I am curious about the facial yoga. I am 333.6 and I've lost 27 pounds and I also worry about my face being TOO thin. Curious about other responses.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Usually women face the trade-off as they get older.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/aging-advice

Just to bump this article, and note that I'm 44 now, and when at healthy weight (just a few years ago), my face still looks quite young. Mind you, I've got the visage of a hobbit: relatively rounded & cheerful looking. And as the article notes, the impact to rounder face shapes is less unpleasant.

So to the commenters who are in the process of dropping weight, this isn't a sure thing. It really does vary from person to person! OP, I truly hope you find a solution that works for you.