How do you keep focused on the long term goal?

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been a MFP member for about 18 months now, and in the past I have had some success using the tools here. I'm 24, 6ft tall and at a starting weight of 283lbs as of 2nd Jan I am drastically overweight. I know that if if I were to log until the end of the year, that I'd be in touching distance of my goal. The one problem I have is that I am struggling with the thought of logging for an entire year :-(

The last time I logged on here, I managed about 2 months of strict logging. Any tips on how to keep focus? I really want to see my step up in exercise reflect in the number I see on the scale.

Replies

• Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The scale is a guide. I would consider doing measurements and body fat 2x a month and weighing in once a week. If you are losing inches but not seeing it on the scale you can see it in tracking. I think that is a really helpful tool. Take pictures too. I don't always see it in the mirror but in a photo I do.

Can you set small milestones along the way? For me, my long term goal is to compete in November. I want 20 weeks out to train so that gives me around July. I'm running a 5k in May/June and was just invited to another in March so that gives me even more push to stay on track with my program. Those little things will keep me going.

I said when I hit 25# off I would take a picture update... that didn't quite happen but I have a 12 week challenge starting tomorrow that requires them, so I have to bite the bullet. I Have a picture that mortified me taken in the end of Nov after a month of logging and looking at that shows me where I am now 6 weeks later. It's a big help. I plan on taking update photos (while not required) each 4 week block of my program so I Can See where I am and have that accurate documentation. I feel like that will help me.

IF a year is too long... go a week... or 3 days... or just a day at a time. Each little bit of time does add up. Most important is that you are here and you Are trying.
  • Darrxy
    Darrxy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never really taken proper measurements and only ever focused on the scale, perhaps that is the first thing I need to change.

I know that one milestone I want to achieve is to get down to 252lbs, because I know then that it will be my lightest weight in over 6 years. I think I could do that by the start of summer, which would be a great start.

I'd also at some point love to do a sponsored 10k run, but I'd certainly need to shed some big lbs before I do that!

I've seen pictures of myself at uni which scare me and definitely make me not want to go backwards, but I've been big for so long it's often a struggle to imagine myself without the extra lbs looking forwards. I do think the measuring would be a good step forwards for motivation though.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The scale is a guide. I would consider doing measurements and body fat 2x a month and weighing in once a week. If you are losing inches but not seeing it on the scale you can see it in tracking. I think that is a really helpful tool. Take pictures too. I don't always see it in the mirror but in a photo I do.

IF a year is too long... go a week... or 3 days... or just a day at a time. Each little bit of time does add up. Most important is that you are here and you Are trying.

This.

Also, 2 other notes:
    1. "a whole year" - yeah. Otoh, if you don't start sometime... (I struggle with this too sometimes. Right now I'm doing a 15-wk challenge, and when I calculated my best-case end weight, I was really unhappy. Because it's not what I want to see after that much time and effort. So I'm focusing on being a size smaller, one month in, and improving my workouts. It's not perfect, but focusing on the positive is helping.)

2. If you did strict logging for only 2 months, you may not have hit your groove for optimal shop/cook/log efficiency. Look for ways to make it easier on yourself. Large batches of food that you divvy up ahead of time, rotate some favorites for variety & easy logging. If you cook, just put one or two favorite recipes in so it's less hassle logging. Look at new ways of preparing (or shopping) for your food - whatever's gonna reduce the hassle factor. It does get easier once you've got it dialed in a little!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i'm going to have to be logging everything for the rest of my life. i honestly dont think i'll ever be able to go with the flow in terms of eating.

but as for weight loss, it's more than likely going to take me 12 months to reach my goal. for me what helps is making mini goals, some of which are weight loss others are fitness. having milestones along the way helps keep me motivated
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It might help you to make smaller goals. Focus on losing 5 lbs, logging in for one straight week, getting in 30 minutes of exercise, etc. Big goals can be overwhelming when you try to take them in all at once.
  • chrisdeager1
    Options
    If you're like me you get bored easy. I think that while MFP is an important component, I 'd recommend finding some other goals besides the scale. Take up an exercise, run a few times a week and shoot for a goal of doing a 5k race, or find a bootcamp class and set some goals, like 10 burpees a minute. Try a new athletic activity every week for 3 months...That way, if the scale lets you down, you're not so bummed, and you'll be moving the focus off it all being about food.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hope my 2 cents worth helps.....wanted to change my life and started in around 3 years ago.

My long-term goal started as a rather cloudy idea that OK definitely want to lose the weight.

I thought about my food intake - took on some serious reading. Then there was the exercise line - I love walking. So how to keep up my interest and serve to challenge myself using this tool.....this lead from street walking to eventually long, long difficult bushwalking and mountain climbing. (Totally stoked as I was coming up to 50 years of age).

Then to help with my endurance I thought about incorporating strength training, in my own limited way. This was another interest and kept me motivated. Again returned to read the forums on MFP etc about said subject.

I guess the short of the long term is.....whatever you find to keep you going day in day out and maintain the fire in your belly to get to that Long term objective is going to be helpful. It will keep you fresh and motivated and more likely to be inspired to get back to things if life intervenes and you fall off the wagon.

Just as a a tip from me and this is can apply to anyone, sadly at any time. During the TOP days of feeling like I was invincible with the bush and Mountain conquering.....I got sick with Lupus. It has meant radical changes and since May of last year I have had to Rest and abandon all my activities.

I have maintained my weight ...... but this adjustment has been very trying and I lost alot of confidence and sense of identity. I have only just started to tentatively use my body again. No more outdoor fun. I have had to be content with hydrotherapy, light weights and resistance bands.

This has meant that I have stopped focussing on my previous long term goal and now am reinventing new ones. If anyone is unfortunate enough to have similar experiences I entreat you all to never give up.....adjust, be creative and be willing to embrace any chance to keep your health going forward.

My very best to you and congratulations on your achievements and tenacity to stick at this for the long term.

Karen