My hair is a lot thinner now :/

Options
Before all my weight loss I had VERY thick long hair, I understand it's thinner now because I don't eat as much food as I used to.. obviously... but it's very fine and limp now and I've been trying to grow it long for nearly a year with pretty much no change in length (it's just above my chest) :( I'm only 3lbs away from my goal weight now so I've been SLOWLY increasing my calories by 50 each week until I reach something reasonable ... Will my hair grow back thick again once I work towards maintenance and eat more, or is it the food I'm eating? I need thick hair tips... :( my diary is open also (I pre logged tomorrow as well hehe)

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Need more protein & fat.

http://www.cvs.com/search/Vitamins/_/N-3mZieZ2k?pt=product&searchTerm=hair

You need to take vitamins and put some heat protector, and anti break shampoo and conditioner on it.
  • Nicholsonaj
    Options
    Hi - You've gone great on your weight loss - but it sounds like you have some vitamin deficiencies. My hair did the same thing about 8 years ago when I followed the Atkins diet (sure I lost weight - but my hair got so thin, a lady at the dept store beauty counter thought I was having chemo!)!

I went to see an endocrinologist and he ran blood work and I was deficient in virtually all minerals and vitamins (having been strictly reducing the amount of veggies and fruit to cut carbs!)...not sure what or how you've been eating.

But I would make sure to add back fruits and veggies, and you may need a suppliment at first to bring you back up to level!

The good news is - once I got my diet balanced the hair grew back!
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too. Biotin supplements help.
  • mschurr2014
    mschurr2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely take Biotin supplements! They're sold basically anywhere and they're great for hair, skin, and nails! My hair usually falls out like crazy during the winter but I started taking it 4 weeks ago and there's barely any hair in my shower drain after I've washed it. My skin becomes much healthier and clearer, my eyelashes even grow and I have to trim them down a little. I usually take the max dose (10,000 mcg) but You can take a lot less than that. I would definitely get in to see your doctor to check your blood levels and such, but biotin can be a really inexpensive fix...good luck!
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I'm actually working towards maintenance now so hopefully the extra calories I'll get will help too! I've heard of Biotin and I actually ordered some!! Also there's some Brewers yeast tablets downstairs that I started taking today , they're meant to contain lots of B vitamins and BIOTIN!! xD eheheh
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    B12 and Fish Oil (Omega 3) are very good to strengthen your hair and prevent loss. I also have had problems with this in the past and recommend using keratin as well.