Weight Gain on 1200 to 1400 calories

Options
Hi Everyone,

I started MFP 7 days ago. I was 90 Kg's I have eaten under 1400 Calories everyday some days only 1200 and when I weighed myself today I am 92.2 Kgs!! I just don't understand, I didn't have unrealistic expections about losing weight but to gain 2 Kgs?

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Did you start exercising? Are you measuring, or preferably weighing, your portion sizes? Are you putting in your own recipes, or using generic database entries?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Water weight,
    Daily weight fluctuation
    weight of food.
    start weighting your self once a week
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    First of you are still fairly new. If you are new to exercising your body will retain water while it repairs the muscles and then once it does that then you will lose it. That time of the month...ovulating?? Are you drinking enough water...watching your salt in take? But you need to give it time and did you weigh your self same time of day in the same way? Best time to do so is early morning after using the potty and either always wear same clothes or go naked
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's so early, Did you have something with a lot of sodium? I ate crab last night and gained water weight b/c there is so much salt in the crab, even though crab itself has few calories.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So important to measure (and preferably weigh) your food. I saw a YouTube video showing the difference in actual calories when a food was volume-measured instead of weighed. Wow, that really made an impression on me! Some of the "servings" were 40-50% higher in calories when weighed. With a really calorie-dense food (like peanut butter for example), this could mean a difference of a hundred or more calories in one serving. I used to measure my peanut butter serving in "tablespoons"; but when I wised up and weighed it, it was really more like TWO servings. Yikes...

Also agree you should weigh only once a week, since fluid retention from one day to the next can really make a difference on the scale. You'll get a more accurate picture by looking at a whole week; better psychologically too. Good luck!
  • Gretel086
    Options
    I have been exercising as well, I have been doing about 30 minutes on the treadmill in the mornings. I have been using mostly the packaging on things and the generic things for say Eggs, vegetables etc. I know I have considerably reduced how much I am eating and have been more active so I feel 2 kgs is a lot to put on. I am only weighing myself once a week this is my first week. I was just a bit shocked.
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I too am having this issue. Been counting everything and recording it with my exercise and seem to have gained also even though I have a defecit between my calories and exercise. Very frustrating and discouraging.
  • Gretel086
    Options
    How long have you been doing it for now?
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me its ether..right before my period or right before ovulation, after a strenuous workout or if I have not been drinking enough water.
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it for now?

Since January 1st
  • Gretel086
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

No I haven't included them in the food diary.
  • hayleyrue
    hayleyrue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • 1prettygirl08
    1prettygirl08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having that issue too! The scale is not moving and I am doing the right things. I am trying to keep at it and not be discouraged. I did however lose inches.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So important to measure (and preferably weigh) your food. I saw a YouTube video showing the difference in actual calories when a food was volume-measured instead of weighed. Wow, that really made an impression on me! Some of the "servings" were 40-50% higher in calories when weighed. With a really calorie-dense food (like peanut butter for example), this could mean a difference of a hundred or more calories in one serving. I used to measure my peanut butter serving in "tablespoons"; but when I wised up and weighed it, it was really more like TWO servings. Yikes...

Also agree you should weigh only once a week, since fluid retention from one day to the next can really make a difference on the scale. You'll get a more accurate picture by looking at a whole week; better psychologically too. Good luck!
    This!
  • la_mujeritanz
    la_mujeritanz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think, and this is just my opinion, that your body may be going into starvation mode. Here is some information I just copied online.

"If you weigh 200 pounds, eating 2,600 calories each day will produce little change in weight. A reduction to 2,000 calories a day is a good target for losing weight, and your protein requirements would be about 80 grams each day." (from www.sharecare.com a health/nutrition and weight loss website.)

You may try for one week to increase your caloric intake. Perhaps try the 2,000 calories for a week and see what happens. Or at least 1800 to begin with, I wouldn't go any lower. Of course keep up with your exercising. That is fabulous that you have a regular schedule for exercise. Then as you lose weight, you could lower the caloric intake a bit more.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think, and this is just my opinion, that your body may be going into starvation mode. Here is some information I just copied online.

"If you weigh 200 pounds, eating 2,600 calories each day will produce little change in weight. A reduction to 2,000 calories a day is a good target for losing weight, and your protein requirements would be about 80 grams each day." (from www.sharecare.com a health/nutrition and weight loss website.)

You may try for one week to increase your caloric intake. Perhaps try the 2,000 calories for a week and see what happens. Or at least 1800 to begin with, I wouldn't go any lower. Of course keep up with your exercising. That is fabulous that you have a regular schedule for exercise. Then as you lose weight, you could lower the caloric intake a bit more.

Your body needs to get 1200 or less to go into starvation mode. Look it up and do some research on it.....Plus it takes 3 days of eating 1200 or less for it to occur
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Your body needs to get 1200 or less to go into starvation mode. Look it up and do some research on it.....Plus it takes 3 days of eating 1200 or less for it to occur

Actually it takes 72 hours of zero calories to have any metabolic adaptation. If you are eating 1200 calories, there won't be starvation mode. Essentially, no one on this board will ever experience starvation mode. There are a few things that can happen when you dont fuel your body properly; 1. loss of lean body mass and 2. reduction in metabolic rate.

The OP is probably experiencing water weight from exercise. But I would suggest eating more than 1200-1400 calories and replacing cardio with weight training. Resistance training, along with higher levels of protein will reduce the amount of muscle lost.

Depending on how tall the OP is, a goal of 1700-1900 calories would be more beneficial but that assumes the OP is using a food scale to measure calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) water weight happens all the time, but it definitely happens when you start exercising
    2) weigh everything you eat so you know you're not overeating
    3) eat your exercise calories back (at least some, if you're not sure exactly how much you burn)

That works. Guaranteed.
  • Gretel086
    Options

Actually it takes 72 hours of zero calories to have any metabolic adaptation. If you are eating 1200 calories, there won't be starvation mode. Essentially, no one on this board will ever experience starvation mode. There are a few things that can happen when you dont fuel your body properly; 1. loss of lean body mass and 2. reduction in metabolic rate.

The OP is probably experiencing water weight from exercise. But I would suggest eating more than 1200-1400 calories and replacing cardio with weight training. Resistance training, along with higher levels of protein will reduce the amount of muscle lost.

Depending on how tall the OP is, a goal of 1700-1900 calories would be more beneficial but that assumes the OP is using a food scale to measure calories.

I am 163 cm tall and I was 90 Kgs when I started last Monday, I am now 92.2kgs. I have put my target up to 1500 calories per day.