I go over on my saturated fat, should I be concerned?

Options
I go over by a couple of grams and I know it because I have a slice of bacon every morning and extra lean ground beef in my chili?

Should I be concerned with how much fat I get? I get like 50 grams a day.

Replies

• charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No. Just get a variety of different fat sources from saturated and unsaturated sources. 50g of fat a day is a healthy amount. Try to get some from nuts, cage free eggs, olive oils, avacados, and a little bit from pork or beef will not hurt you.
  • tembii
    tembii Posts: 34
    Options
    I probably go over on my fat everyday due to nuts and avocado and olive oil, its good stuff though!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go over by a couple of grams and I know it because I have a slice of bacon every morning and extra lean ground beef in my chili?

My fat intake is twice as much as yours and I'm doing just fine.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My diet is 70% fat. I get all my fats from natural sources: bacon, egg yolks, olive oil, avocados, nuts, beef drippings, butter, etc. as long as it is natural, you will be ok. There's no problem with eating saturated fat. Here are studies indicating that saturated fat and cholesterol from foods are not linked to risk of heart disease.

Siri-Tarino PW, et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2010.

Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2009.

Dreon DM, et al. Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1998.

Rong Y, et al. Egg consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke: dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. British Medical Journal, 2013.

Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, 2006.

Blesso CN, et al. Whole egg consumption improves lipoprotein profiles and insulin sensitivity to a greater extent than yolk-free egg substitute in individuals with metabolic syndrome. Metabolism, 2013.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

My fat intake is twice as much as yours and I'm doing just fine.

I eat a lot more too - it's good for you! As long as it's coming from good sources then don't be afraid of fat...
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    but is bacon and ground beef good sources?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You're fine. A few grams is nothing to worry about with anything other than sodium.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't eat a lot of pork as most of the pigs aren't raised particularly well, or fed good food. For other meat, i choose organic/grass fed. If I can't get that, I make sure to eat lean cuts and remove any fat. I make my own mince (ground beef) so I know what's in it.

I get the majority of my fat from meat, organic eggs, coconut oil, ghee, EVOO, nuts/coconut, sometimes avo (doesn't agree with me)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Excellent sources!