Replies

• Shreddingitnow
    Options
    Get naked take a pic
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i dont, i just go.

Yes, this. Unfortunately if we wait for motivation it may never happen. Once I'm there I'm so glad I am!
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl. Working up the will to get up early to exercise will never happen for me--if I ever manage it I'll be shattered all day. It's hard enough getting up early enough for breakfast before work. So I exercise in the evening.

I found it easier to make exercise a habit when I found something with obvious personal benefits and limited much personal cost. For me, it's running on a trampoline at home. I don't have to worry about the time, effort, money and social issues associated with going to a gym; using the trampoline means I get a really good cardio workout with very little impact on my knees and ankles; running burns calories at a fantastic rate; I put something on tv or streaming that I really enjoy watching so the time goes quickly; and I can measure my progress (I use a step counter and convert that to approximate distance/speed) so I get the feeling of mastering a skill that helps you stick with it.

Not long after starting I've found myself looking forward to my evening run, and excuses that I would have made in the past don't entice me. Recently I've begun bodyweight strength exercises at home and am getting to enjoy that too.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I down some coffee to wake me up and just go for it. I find that pushing myself is a lot easier if I do shorter workouts. I push harder and am more motivated to do them. I may go a little longer in the future, but right now, I'm really loving my 1/2 hour T25 sessions. I never feel like I didn't get a great workout in, but it didn't take the whole morning. I also try different things every now and then because for me it was important to find the right kind of workout. I'm not a treadmill girl. I get too bored, I need something that really takes some focus. Today I did a 2 hour hike up a mountain with some friends for a scavenger hunt. The other day we went bowling (although I'm pretty sure all the cocktails I had canceled that calorie burn out). And while it doesn't work for everyone, I have little pep talks with myself and keep a few inspirational quotes stored in my head to push myself into working out. My husband teases me because he can hear me in the morning talking to myself but hey! It works for me! Anyways, I hope that you find a way to enjoy it. Remember it's all in your head, so try to find a way to win the battle and get into a positive mindset before the workouts and the time will fly by so much easier.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    2 things really. 1. Try and beat your last achievement e.g running time. 2. Do it with other people.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I started last January, I had to force myself to exercise, now I love it and look forward to working out every day. When I cant be bothered or am feeling tired, I put on my workout gear and trainers and that is usually the hardest part.

Have you heard of Callanetics? I would highly recommend and may be suitable for you..... good luck!
  • BethamiLawson
    BethamiLawson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be the kind of person who would look forward to exercising. Seriously! I always looked at it as a chore. That's changed for me in the last year. Now I truly miss it when I don't get my workouts in.

I think the key is to figure out what sort of activity/venue works for you and everyone is different. I have found that I enjoy outdoors circuit training.

Personally, I also do best when there is the accountability of having someone waiting for you to show up and work out with them. Find a friend who is committed to working out & plan "exercise dates."

I pay for a month of group circuit-training bootcamps/training sessions at a time and know that my trainer and "workout buddies" are there waiting for me to show up. I purposefully pay ahead of time, so that I know I'd be losing out on the money I spent if I flake on a session. Most of the time, the sessions are outdoors in a park so I also get to enjoy my surroundings while working out. (I live in CA & we are fortunate to be able to do that almost year-round. :flowerforyou:)

I don't know where you live, but I would suggest going on meetup-dot-com and looking for exercise groups in your area or experiment with different physical activities through groupon or livingsocial deals. Try out various things & see whats works for you. I've tried Zumba classes, yoga studios, cardio classes, etc. through special deals like that. If you like something - great! If you try it & don't like it - you didn't blow a ton of money and it was a new experience.

I hope you find the physical activity that works for you. It really helps not only with weight loss, but with mood and stress reduction.

Edit: P.S.: I bought a FitBit & that also motivates me. I like checking my activity level on it throughout the day.
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I also usually kind of dread it. I have found workouts I like ok, and one I love. (I like Beachbody "Slim in 6" but I loved "T25"). I'm on the 2nd level of "Slim in 6" and there are parts I just really don't like. The entire plie section. And most of the squat section. I just suck it up and do my best. If I do my best every time, I feel better for having done my best.

The thing I find most encouraging, is that every time I do these workouts, SOMETHING goes easier. Strength literally improves with every workout. So, I focus on the positive and push myself, and afterward I get a hot shower and if I'm hungry, food. And the best feeling of course, is having it behind me for one more day. Every day that I work out, I feel like I am doing everything I can to improve my shape. I can't say that I ever really overeat in a horrible way on days I've worked out. It grows muscle and motivation just by keeping at it.

So, keep it up. For joint pain, maybe someone has mentioned this, but I'd see a doctor and see about medication or herbal tinctures that might help with that. It's something to keep an eye on, and get help for if it's holding you back. And maybe different exercises would be worth considering. I have plantar fasciitis and I don't do high impact while I'm heavy because I don't want to aggravate that.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wine motivates me. Extra exercise = extra wine.
  • kellapicola
    kellapicola Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here's something that help me on those days I just don't want to do a long session or class. Try doing a 20 minute HIIT program--either on the elliptical or treadmill. Or you can even do Tabata's--they are a very quick but extremely intense short session of exercise. This way, you can just tell yourself you don't need to "find" a lot of time to get your exercise in and doing it for the shorter period and more intense type sessions gives you great calorie burn and results. Just look some different ones on Pinterest or Google--there's tons of different types out there. Good luck :)
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding something you enjoy doing and find a friend to do it with. And on days you don't feel like doing it, do it anyway. Even if it's just 10 minutes. Most likely, after 10 minutes you'll want to finish your workout. One other thing that worked for me is creating a little poster with pictures representing the reasons I want to lose weight and get healthy. When I start to lose motivation I'll pull my poster out and it usually keeps me going. It's a little silly but it works for me.
  • nellie1967
    nellie1967 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have a really hard time motivating myself to exercise. There's some really good suggestions posted that I need to try, thanks!
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Motivation gets you far enough to make it a habit. Once its a habit you don't need the motivation, you just do it.

Tell yourself you'll do 10minutes of whatever you find "easy" at the gym. You'll find once you start you'll keep at it.

I notice the biggest weight loss/body shape difference lifting free weights. I can do cardio until i kill myself and it really doesn't show much difference. But if you are sore and stiff do what you can do to strengthen your body, shed a few kilos and it'll be less painful and easier to do more. If yoga works for you now just do that for now. Anything is better than nothing

I couldnt agree more ! Stay motivated enought o make it a habit .. And for motivation dont just rely on scales and dress sizes .. It is a healthier lifestyle change and thats a good enough motivation ..
    I look for motivation here in these forums and see the journey so many people have had .. Motivates me on all those days when i cant get my *kitten* to get off the couch lol ..
    Also at the gym when you are exercising , dont keep thinking about the weight loss .. Let your mind relax and enjoy the time and space without all the clutter ..
    Just keep going !
  • mstrhck
    mstrhck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been through it all, spending so much of my life choosing to be very overweight and from time to time trying to change magically from being out of shape and obese to fit and muscular. I am lazy and I like junk food.

Last year, someone close to me signed up to do an Ironman. This year, that person and a few more of us decided to sign up and do one as well. Nothing I have ever done in the past has motivated me more than having my training schedule on my computer, and being able to tick off every workout that I complete. I use a color-coded scheme to keep myself in check. Red is a missed workout, yellow is a decent partial, and green means I did it, baby!

I can influence my motivation from two directions: One, before I am supposed to have a workout, I work on removing every obstacle to the workout so that I am only facing my internal opposition to it, not to all of the other extraneous factors. For instance, if I have to do an indoor bike workout, I will move everything out of the way, set up my indoor trainer, and put on my workout gear. Everything is ready for hopping on the bike and pressing 'start' on my timer. I have found that this drastically removes resistance to doing my workout. I just keep telling myself, "remove the obstacles," until there are no other obstacles. Once you're all suited up and ready to go, it is so much easier to just do it.

The second direction comes from avoiding the pride hit if I have to color my workout in my training spreadsheet yellow or red. If I show up and do my best, I get the green. Keep in mind that I am a lazy person! Somehow, being able to punch in that green, and my reluctance to "color myself" red or yellow works wonders, at least for me.

My third secret weapon is listening to USMC cadences and other motivating material. It makes a huge difference for me and maybe it will for you too. Good luck, you can do this. :D
  • cdwwench
    cdwwench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are some really good suggestions for exercising from everyone.

Think about what type of activities you enjoy and how you can incorporate movement into your day. I don't think of it as working out, exercising...but as getting healthy. I'm on a journey to wellness, so it is more than just exercising.

I began working out with a friend. She dragged me to the gym and to boot camp classes. I found out my lungs needed more work so I could complete workouts and began walking. I started using a fitbit one t track my steps and stairs and to incorporate more movement in my daily activities. I also took Aqua Zumba classes. I could move in water without having an asthma attack. I started with a couple walks/runs for local charities and am continuing. I am finishing my second round of an Everyday Person's Ironman within 2 months. I also participated in a Virtual Run in January. Think of a goal where you are accountable and schedule training sessions, not workouts. I am signed up for a sprint triathlon this summer with friends and relatives. I finished last year (barely) and want to do better this year. As I get healthier, I am more encouraged to find ways to exercise and keep moving.

Find a group of friends, use this group too, announce your intentions and schedule sessions. Take note of how you feel as you accomplish your goals. If nothing else, put on music and dance! You can move and get healthy too.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I started exercising last January and I said I would commit myself to 3 days a week. I started the couch to 5k programme which was 20-30 minutes of exercising. I found that running was the exercise for me and did it more than 3 times. You have to find what you enjoy doing. I stuck with it and its now at the point where I have to exercise, there is no doubt in my mind, and I do it 6-7 days a week. You have to form the habit and to do that, you just have to push yourself. Only you can do that. Find an exercise you like that doesn't hurt too much (remember all new exercises will hurt) and commit to 3 days a week - or even 2 to get you started, that means if you skip a day, there is always tomorrow.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My motivation, well last nights was to think what would be going through people's minds that drove passed me as I got battered by the wind and the rain. I do it because it gives me an escape.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Find yourself a workout routine and then plan out your workouts on a calendar. Each day you workout, you can check off that day.

Understand it will suck and you won't be comfortable in the beginning. Understand that's really how your body feels all the time, it's just spread out ofver time, so you don't notice the discomfort as much, or the damage it does.

Working out and strengthening your muscles, especially your back, will probably be quite uncomfortable initially, but strengthening your back and core can actually alleviate symptoms long term, especially if you pair it with something like hatha yoga.
  • ModQuad
    Options
    Here are ways I motivate myself:

1. Just start moving!!! I tell myself I can stop after 10 minutes. But I never feel like stopping by that time. (Except once, and turns out I had the flu!)

2. Do things that I enjoy!!! I chose activities that make me so happy, I look forward to them rather than dreading them, like going hiking on the weekends.

3. Make it practical!!! I do things that fit seamlessly into my schedule. When I bike or walk to/from work, it takes that same amount of time as driving in traffic or taking public transportation, so why not bike? Two birds, one stone.

4. Make it sustainable!!! I don't do things that are impossible or impractical, like 5 hours/day at the gym. Some weeks I work out a lot, (18 hours if I spend both weekend days hiking or biking) some weeks only a little (30min/day if I go on vacation), but I keep my exercise hours within a spectrum (4-18 hours) that's easy to maintain.
  • cdwwench
    cdwwench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I finished my one challenge and doing more stretching and yoga and know I need to get walking again. Doing something every day, but have to get more intense. Plans are to step it up after doctor appointments next week. I keep telling myself to follow my plan, but it is so hard at the moment. Thanks for the push.