Help! DOMs from Hell!

Options
So I made the mistake of telling my personal trainer I wasn't sore after our last workout.

He made me do 60 body weight squats - at 328lbs, that is a LOT of weight to squat.

I also did 45 squat tosses with a 10lb medicine ball

4 reps of 30second wall sits

Other leg stuff. I got a little fuzzy towards the end.

By the end of it I was shaking and walking funny.

Today I am in so much pain I am barely functional. I swear to all that is holy this is worse than the recovery from the surgery where I ripped up my knee cartridge.

DOMs are usually worse for me on the 2nd day. If this gets worse I won't be able to get out of bed!

I drank a ton of water, ate a lot of protein and tried to stretch it out. Took 2 hot baths. Rubbed it a lot. Nothing is helping!

Help!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Someone told me a hot bath or shower makes it worse, go for just warm next time. I think the best thing to do is more exercise, sorry :(
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I get DOMS on Day 2 as well. I'm expecting to have them tomorrow after today's leg workout.
    Foam roll, stretch, eat something high in potassium, drink lots of water, and if nothing else take some ibuprofen or apply icyhot/biofreeze/tiger balm.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    suck it up, princess and LOVE IT :devil:

seriously DOMS is supposed to be worse on the 2nd day (that's sorta what the D stands for...delayed :wink: )

i find working out in compression gear helps A LOT. afterwards taking an ice bath helps as well as alternating cold and hot shower or better yet cold shower in the whirlpool and then a cold shower afterwards. yeah ok i waste a lot of water but it's the gym and that's why i pay those mofos!

afterwards, recovering in compression gear also helps since it helps reduce the swelling. beyond that adequate sleep, eating food and massage also helps

PS stretching doesnt help with true DOMS because DOMS is from microtears in your muscles. you get them more with movements that require you to put weighted pressure on the muscle as it lengthens (ie squats and push ups). so really the only things that really help are things that reduce swelling like compression gear, ice baths, anti-inflammatory meds, etc
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Bengay Cold Therapy - I can't live without the stuff.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Advil and my foam roller.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    When you get doms try a light work out. It will relax your muscles. Other than that doms is considered the hangover of working out. Nothing heals it but time.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    So put off by being incapacitated for days after I don't go so hard any more. You can still build up to a higher level of physical strength pacing yourself. A little bit of ache is fine, if I can't walk that's ****ed.

If I had the cash for a personal trainer I'd be looking high and low for one who could help me increase my fitness and strength over a longer period of time and in a way that is sustainable for life, this instant improvement thing doesn't float my boat at all.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Take a bath with LOTS of epsom salts! Aside from that just take it easy, not much will make it go away. I had the same problem when I did bootcamp a couple years ago. I could barely walk up the (four) stairs to my house! It was excruciating and I was terrified of the next session, but it was much better the next time round. This is the worst of it. Get through it and you'll be right :flowerforyou: