Help! What should my nutritions values be?

So in a thread someone mentioned that I am not getting enough protein in my diet. MFP set my numbers for me. Now it has me wondering about carbs, sugar, etc. I am 130 at 5'1. I am not fat but I am on the thicker side. So my goal is to tone up and get that flat stomach I have always wanted. Can anyone help me to figure out the right numbers.... "(

Replies

• The range is rather huge, but, something like this, depending on who you ask.

45% to 65% of calories eaten should come from carbohydrates.
    20% to 35% of calories eaten should come from fat.
    10% to 35% of calories eaten should come from protein.

It is suggested that you get at least 60 grams of protein daily while you are restricting calories (i.e. dieting) to help reduce muscle lose.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    http://kbandstraining.com/how-much-protein-should-i-eat-weight-loss-secrets/

For example this is how to find out how much protein to have. I can't do math for the life of me. So what I gather is I should be eating about 92 grams of protein. My goal is 50 on MFP. Thats a huge difference!!!
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    The MFP goal for protein is generally low.
    Id adjust the goal to add more protein.. Some more protein wouldnt hurt, it could actually help!
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    MFP's default protein settings are pretty far off. Generally, it's recommended you get roughly 1 g per pound of lean body mass (discussed in more detail in the above links). Which equates to ~100 g of protein daily. Since you're only 5'1, the figure you came up with isn't far off. If you're exercising, as well, you need more protein to aid in muscle growth and repair. You just need to adjust your macros (carbs, fat, protein) to allow for more protein.

Also, on a personal note, unless you have some kind of dietary concern (i.e. diabetes, hypertension) for which sugar and sodium are relevant, you might want to switch those out in your diary for something more significant (i.e. fiber, iron, calcium, etc.). The values for sodium and sugar are also very low, and provided you're meeting your macro- and micronutrient (additional vitamins and minerals) needs, you don't need to worry so much about them.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    MFP's default protein settings are pretty far off. Generally, it's recommended you get roughly 1 g per pound of lean body mass (discussed in more detail in the above links). Which equates to ~100 g of protein daily. Since you're only 5'1, the figure you came up with isn't far off. If you're exercising, as well, you need more protein to aid in muscle growth and repair. You just need to adjust your macros (carbs, fat, protein) to allow for more protein.

Also, on a personal note, unless you have some kind of dietary concern (i.e. diabetes, hypertension) for which sugar and sodium are relevant, you might want to switch those out in your diary for something more significant (i.e. fiber, iron, calcium, etc.). The values for sodium and sugar are also very low, and provided you're meeting your macro- and micronutrient (additional vitamins and minerals) needs, you don't need to worry so much about them.

Thanks. I have it set to carbs, protein, sugar, and iron. - so I got:
    Calories at 1350
    Protein at 92
    all I need to figure out is carbs, sugar, and iron. - We are on the right track!! My carbs were at 50% today :( I need to do better!