has anyone had success eating 1500 a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• DKWaggoner
    Options
    I eat 1600 calories a day & so far its working for me.I also exercise 5 days a week. I am diabetic and my dietician recommends i eat 1600 cal.She also told me nobody should EVER eat below 1200,so when i see these people eating 1000 to 800 cal a day I cringe,because they are starving themselves and setting themselves up for failure.
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    I'm eating 1430 a day and I'm having a steady loss. I'm 5ft 91/2 and currently weigh 160. I started at 1200 but after a couple of weeks I hit a plateau and just couldn't shifit it. i upped my intake to 1430 and I've lost consistantly ever since.

This is interesting to hear! Im around 5'8.5 and 172 or so ( so similar to you)

I have now annoyingly yo-yo-ed between 171-178 for like 3 weeks now, and I've been getting so frustrated! I will consider upping my calorie intake and see how that works! :D
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6lb in 3 weeks eating 1500 cals a day, exercising a few times a week but not eating my exercise cals (unless i feel i need to)
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week. I can burn anywhere from 400 to 980 calories a work. Sometimes I get in double workouts. I was losing weight while I was eating 1700 calories. When I dropped to 1500 calories my weight loss stall. I'm now back up to 1700 calories. It works for me.

I don't think that ANYBODY that is exercising should be on 1200 calories. Period.
    I think we all need to re-evaluate the statement "it's different for everyone". Or maybe reinforce it.
    If I eat anywhere near 17-1800 calories I gain. Period. Exercise or no exercise. To "maintain" many BMR sites say I'd need 1800 cals/day and that includes my exercise calories. My BMR is actually sedentary at 1400 cals/day (meaning no exercise). That's what I'd need to maintain. So it goes without saying that I could not eat my exercise calories and lose at 1200 cals/day plus the 4 to 500 I'd burn. It would take over a month to lose 1 pound.
    Most days I'm full on close to 1100 calories. Usually I'll eat something to put me over that 1200 calorie mark, but that does not include my exercise calories. This diet has me losing a pound every 6 days. I'd say that's pretty darn healthy. In 16 weeks I've lost 11 lbs. Less than a lb./week. Again... healthy.
    For example, today I'll end up with around 1200 calories total breakfast lunch and dinner. Special K with non-fat milk for lunch, banana for snack, PB&J with a cheese stick and apple for lunch, strawberries for snack, salad with honey grilled chicken and raspberry vinaigrette for dinner. Everything measured, loaded into my diary and it still comes out to around 900 calories. I also give myself a 2-300 calorie swing because not everything is going to be accurate (meaning there could be a few calories not counted for on MFP). That would put me, at max, eating 5 times today, at 1100-1200 calories. Now, I'm also a Crossfitter and I'll go do a 30 minute CF workout today that will burn probably between 3 and 400 calories easy. But I also estimate using MFP, so it could be 300 or it could be 200. That's another 100 calories right there that would put me at 1200-1300 cals/day. I know my body and, if I ate those calories back, I wouldn't lose a thing. I'd gain until I dropped my calorie intake. It's more beneficial for me to be at or around 1200 cals/day (which in reality with pinpoint accurate measurements would probably be more like 1400 cals/day) than to eat more and overestimate.
    My max reps have gone up, I have gained a ton of muscle, I can do moves I wasn't able to do before, and I have a lot more endurance, but people on here are telling me that at 1200 calories or lower I won't gain muscle and it's impossible to have increased the way I have. Consider me a miracle worker or... obviously they are incorrect (and MFP overestimates).
    I think we all need to just remember that it will be different for everyone.

To the OP - If you are still feeling hungry at MFP's suggested calorie intake, play around with it. Find out what works for you. What works for others won't necessarily be your cup of tea, and what works for you others may find out doesn't work for them. As long as you are steadily losing weight at a good pace (1-2 lbs/week) and aren't seeing double or anything funny like that, I'd say you're probably fine. But check with your doctor and make sure your bloodwork is still good every year.