Stuck on the same weight for the past 2 months. Help!

Options
I'm 20 years old, workout frequently, follow a strict diet, and hold an average calorie intake daily. However, I've been stuck at 195 pounds for the past two months when I lost 90 pounds in 8 months.

I workout for 2 days and then I take a day off, I work a physical job (bakery at a grocery store), and I walk every where I go in town because I don't have a car. I usually burn 1500 calories on a workout day.

I eat around 6 different fruits and veggies a day, I stick to chicken and turkey and rarely eat any red meat, and I cutout all soda and candy/sweets except for the rare occasion where I allow myself that reward. I also follow the rule of getting a cheat day once every 2 weeks.

On average I eat 1800 calories a day and add a couple hundred tops on my workout days.

Using the excuse "I'm gaining muscle" is getting old and I highly doubt it anymore. I stick to cardio/fatburn workouts on the treadmill, elliptical, bikes, and focus more on core workouts instead of lifting (Lots of situps/crunches and leg lifts)

Am I just getting leaner and gaining muscle? because I don't see much of a change in the mirror and my goal is 175 (I'm 5 foot 7, but I am a stocky built guy) What am I doing wrong? And how should I fix it?

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Have you tried measuring yourself? It's worth seeing if there is something going on that isn't showing on the scales, like firming up, losing mass, but the muscle counteracting the weight.
    Reading half way through your post I thought "Ah, same thing has happened to me over the past 3 months, due to not eating enough" but it looks like you are eating enough.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yea, probably not muscle. If you are measuring your food accurately and measuring the # of calories burned as accurately as possible, the only other thing I can recommend is that you refigure your numbers. Losing 80# (fantastic, btw) can change your daily requirements.

Run your TDEE again and then go from there. Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    9 times our of 10 the reason for this is.... you just arent being honest. Not recording properly or forgetting to log the small things which make the difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    9 times our of 10 the reason for this is.... you just arent being honest. Not recording properly or forgetting to log the small things which make the difference.

This. What you eat doesn't matter if you eat too much of it too. Just weigh everything you eat, log everything, and see how much you're actually eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would ask if you are using a food scale? Second, as a very active man, why are you only eating 1800 calories? Third, you really should drop some of the cardio and start weight training to maintain your muscle. Forth, you aren't gaining any new muscle on 1800 calories a day, especially since you aren't doing any kind of progressive lifting. I am 5'11, 187 lbs, desk job, 31 years old and workout 5-6 hours a week and eat 2400 calories (macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and average 1 lb per week.

I would suggest a good food scale, then set your account to 1lb per week and when you exercise add another 300 calories into your diet or use a TDEE calculator. Realistically, based on your workout and stats, you should be around 2600 calories for weight loss.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You have lost a lot … Have you adjusted your cal intake to reflect that loss? You also may have to tweak your Macro's at this point…dropping some of the fruit carbs might be the ticket! :)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I hit a wall with weight loss when I got 80lbs into it and had to switch the intensity on my workouts and went with HIIT instead of just cardio. I also added in weight lifting and running to firm up areas that needed it and that made a huge difference. A lot of the time if you are not weighing your food or going by heart rate, the numbers can be off by quite a bit and it will stall your weight loss over time. Invest in a good HRM and a cheap food scale and see how much you are actually burning and honestly eating. Best wishes!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I feel you man

I lost 120 lbs last year, this year I've not lost anything (yet) but I have noticed clothing is still getting baggier on me. I swim at least 5 times a week, usually about 10 hour a week altogether, I usually aim to get a calorie burn of between 700-1100 on those 5 days a week. I'm not eating any differently to how I ate last year, but still nothing on the scales!

As other's have mentioned, you should take measurements (something I don't do) as the scales don't always reflect your immediate progress. My clothing fits better/looser, but the number on the scale won't budge. So, I've decided to not weigh myself for a couple of weeks. Hopefully in a week or so, the scales will reflect my weight loss instead of just my threads!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we can advise better.

1500 cal is a very big burn for a workout day. Are you using a HRM?
  • ac3UVspad3s
    ac3UVspad3s Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that these posts have come up with various solutions. All of which I can easily try, so thank you.

I am planning on adding swimming into my workouts. If that doesn't help me lose weight I know it will at least tighten my belly area. (Which is another easy to fix issue) and with it I will add more into my calorie intake.

I will state I'm being honest, and I keep my logs secret because I didn't know I even marked that setting haha

Thanks again