Runners: What do I do?

Options
Hi guys,

I just finished the C25K. Loving my runs now. Next step C210K

Questions: I have a 5k on the 26th of this month. Should I stick with 30minute runs until after it or start the 10k program now?

I'm not worried about my time, I'm just unsure if I'd be easily able to go back into the longer solid block of running after moving on to the 10K program (it returns to intervals).

Perhaps I should also mention that I like to run every 2nd day as my knee hurts if I do any more.

So, wait OR move to 10k program but include at least one 30min run a week until the race OR just start the program and be confident that my endurance can with stand a 13 days of shorter runs?

Thanks guys :-) I know this seems trivial but I want to have the best first race I can as I never thought I'd be able to do this!

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I did the 5k and then moved from there to the 10k. I was running so much more doing the 10k intervals that I could still pretty easily run a 5k. I think you should be fine, but if you are worried about it add a 30 minute run here or there.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, the C210K program has you start back from the beginning (i.e. the "couch" part), I'm assuming? Why not start a 5k to 10k program? Since you're already running 5k distances, it doesn't seem to make much sense to start downgrading back to beginner levels (pardon me if that's incorrect, I haven't read the C210K program). I am currently training for a 10K as well, and am using this program, where I am running intervals on the shorter days (i.e. 2 minutes normal pace, 1 minute sprints), and regular pace on the long runs: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program. There is also this program which is similar, but it involves running a tad more often than every other day: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml.

I say start training now from your 5k point, not "couch" level, and your 5K is going to seem so much easier in comparison once you've got a few longer runs and some interval training under your belt! Good luck with the race, the first one is so exciting!! :D
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'd more more in line with a higdon program but that's what's familiar to me. And I Like the switch ups you get there instead of run x long this day..... repeat... repeat... lol makes it more fun
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What is the C25K? Have seen it loads on here but have no idea....
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What is the C25K? Have seen it loads on here but have no idea....

C25K is a running program that stands for couch to 5k. Great way to start running from scratch.