1479 calories left---help!

shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Hubby and I went bike riding today at a wildlife refuge and pedaled for 75 minutes-- MFP says I burnt up 1247 calories on that ride, which means that even after lunch out, I've got 1479 calories left to eat today. Right now, I'm actually at a deficit for the day as far as calories eaten/calories burned. I had planned to have just a sandwich for dinner but now looks like I've got to have something a lot more substantial! But I don't even feel hungry yet.

Oh, and probably will be eating lots of cheese!

Replies

• shorerider
    Hubby and I went bike riding today at a wildlife refuge and pedaled for 75 minutes-- MFP says I burnt up 1247 calories on that ride, which means that even after lunch out, I've got 1479 calories left to eat today. Right now, I'm actually at a deficit for the day as far as calories eaten/calories burned. I had planned to have just a sandwich for dinner but now looks like I've got to have something a lot more substantial! But I don't even feel hungry yet.

Oh, and probably will be eating lots of cheese!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Yesterday, I did the reverse!

I wanted a DQ Blizzard... so I ran for 25 minutes at 8.5 min per mile so that I could gain enough calories for such a treat!

You could splurge on a dinner you might not normally allow, or go with a good desert you havent allowed yourself to have!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    I would check your calories burn 1200 seems high for a 1hour 15 min bike ride, we often over estimate our effort, ie. speed on the bike. If not I would choose to enjoy ice cream, or a beer.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    :drinker: beer:drinker:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Wowzah!

I'm not doing a whole lot of exercise right now... we're doing that coolrunning.com program which puts us at 10 minutes of jogging and 20 minutes of walking 3 times a week. That'll increase over time to 25 minutes of jogging, but not for a few weeks. So I burn maybe 700 calories a week doing that, plus a few other small activities and I seem to get about 900 calories every week in exercise.

Apparently everyone on here exercises A WHOLE LOT more!

I have a mountain bike, a stationary bike, and rollerblades but I would have no idea how to gauge the calories burned from stuff like that. And how would I eat so much?!
  • wagon0619
    wagon0619 Posts: 38 Member
    I am really struggling with the exercise calorie issue. Being a big guy, my caloric intake is 2200 calories. On Mon, Wed, and, Fri mornings I play basketball at 5am for about an hour and a half. I put in 45 min to cover for down times between games. I also do my normal 45 min of cardio on those days. After breakfast and lunch today it still says I need to eat 3200 more calories. That is close to impossible unless I spend the evening at a pizza buffet! I am not really starving myself even though by the numbers it makes me feel like I am, but i had a 12 inch veggie sub from subway for lunch and a banana and english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. Any advice?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Wowzah!

I'm not doing a whole lot of exercise right now... we're doing that coolrunning.com program which puts us at 10 minutes of jogging and 20 minutes of walking 3 times a week. That'll increase over time to 25 minutes of jogging, but not for a few weeks. So I burn maybe 700 calories a week doing that, plus a few other small activities and I seem to get about 900 calories every week in exercise.

Apparently everyone on here exercises A WHOLE LOT more!

I have a mountain bike, a stationary bike, and rollerblades but I would have no idea how to gauge the calories burned from stuff like that. And how would I eat so much?!

First of all, if you're happy with your current exercise program, and it's getting you results, than don't worry about huge calorie burn numbers.

To accurately gauge your calorie burn, the only real method is to buy a heart rate monitor. (I love mine. LOVE. like with an un-natural affection. :tongue: )

Mainly, the thing to do is find something that YOU enjoy, you can progress at, and can stick with.

:flowerforyou:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Two Words

Dairy Queen

1479 calories will go quick
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    I would check your calories burn 1200 seems high for a 1hour 15 min bike ride, we often over estimate our effort, ie. speed on the bike. If not I would choose to enjoy ice cream, or a beer.

Compared to my stationary bike, 1200 seems pretty accurate. If I ride for 45 minutes, I burn over 750 calories and that's just on a stationary bike.

My choice would definately be ice cream!!
  • shorerider
    Ummm. Ice cream sounds good but can't do that because of diabetes and the sugar-free kind does unkind things to my body :sick:

and I don't drink, so that's out.

Might go get some sugar-free cookies though--hadn't thought of them. Sugar-free but still relatively high in calories, which is why I usually avoid them.

yeah, the caloric burn seems high but you have to know that I have a lot of weight to lose, which means I have a lot of weight! That translates to high calorie burn right now. That's the only positive thing about being big :bigsmile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    nuts, avocados, you already mentioned cheese...how about almond butter?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    You could go have like, 1 cheeseburger at McDonalds :laugh:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    I hate to say it, but I think that calorie burn may be incorrect. As mentioned before, the best, most accurate way to measure calorie expenditure is with a heart rate monitor. Its a good bet that the numbers on the exercise equipment and even on the lists online, are often off by about 30%, and until you use a HRM, it's really tough to tell. (The ellipticall machine told me I burned 500 calories last night in 45 minutes, but my polar f6 heart rate monitor read that I burned only 285!) Personal opinion* I would be more cautious with the number you were given, and maybe not eat back ALL of those calories, perhaps 50-70% of what it says you "earned".
  • I am really struggling with the exercise calorie issue. Being a big guy, my caloric intake is 2200 calories. On Mon, Wed, and, Fri mornings I play basketball at 5am for about an hour and a half. I put in 45 min to cover for down times between games. I also do my normal 45 min of cardio on those days. After breakfast and lunch today it still says I need to eat 3200 more calories. That is close to impossible unless I spend the evening at a pizza buffet! I am not really starving myself even though by the numbers it makes me feel like I am, but i had a 12 inch veggie sub from subway for lunch and a banana and english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. Any advice?

If you goal is to lose weight you don't have to eat all your exercise calories. Now, if you want to maintain your weight you should be eating your exercise calories as much as you can. Just remember in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than what you eat.:wink:
  • shorerider
    We averaged close to 14 miles per hour for 75 minutes--I think the calorie burn is pretty close! Once I get the tax man paid off, I might look into buying a heart monitor but for now, I'm going with what the site says. I also check it on two or three other sites as well and get kind of a ball park average.

Oh, and I had a grilled cheese for dinner with salad and a BIG glass of milk and sugar free cookies!!
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    And remember, folks, we don't all burn up the same number of calories.....a little person burns up a lot less calories doing ANY activity than a larger person (ya know how you enter your weight on the treadmill or a caloriesperhour.com?) So those who have a lot to lose have the "advantage" here! That is so awesome.....:flowerforyou: I try to burn off about 200-500 calories a day, and then I don't feel deprived with my eating at all. Before atarting here, I just did something three times a week. Hmmmm, the weather is getting so nice, I may just have to try a nice long bike ride next!