Calories burned from putting baby to sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! My son was totally exercise to get to sleep... Like 45 minutes or more of bouncing on a exercise ball while twisting back and forth and lifting him up and down 3 times a day! Combined with great eating I was 15 lb under prepregnancy weight at nine months.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not meaning to be rude, but curious, why not nurse baby to sleep?
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    Oh I try, trust me. It's one of my favorite ways. Last night was a "try it all" night. She fell asleep nursing, but only for about 90 seconds. Sometimes nursing works, sometimes she's too wound up I guess. She also has a knack for peeing right as she passes out requiring a new diaper, which wakes her up even more that the wet did.
  • oiseau17
    Options
    Oh I try, trust me. It's one of my favorite ways. Last night was a "try it all" night. She fell asleep nursing, but only for about 90 seconds. Sometimes nursing works, sometimes she's too wound up I guess. She also has a knack for peeing right as she passes out requiring a new diaper, which wakes her up even more that the wet did.

I remember those days! My daughter would only sleep if held, so my husband and I switched off holding her all night for her first four months. Good times. Hope she sleeps better soon momma.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That kind of stuff really has to be credited to your activity level. A HRM is not going to be even remotely accurate for something like that. You can't track every little thing...you have to include some of that stuff in your activity level.

I have a desk job, but I also have an almost 4 y.o. and an 18 m.o. and there's not a whole lot of siting around doing nothing when I'm home. When I did MFP I set myself as light active to account for that fact...I'd recommend that you do the same...plus you are nursing.
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    Thanks! She sleeps the same being held or not it seems (30 minutes during the day), though sometimes she surprises me with a marathon nap when I wear her, which is a whole different ballgame. We bed share at night so that's been pretty simple, it's the getting her to sleep part that wears me out!
  • oiseau17
    Options
    Thanks! She sleeps the same being held or not it seems (30 minutes during the day), though sometimes she surprises me with a marathon nap when I wear her, which is a whole different ballgame. We bed share at night so that's been pretty simple, it's the getting her to sleep part that wears me out!

It's nice to see another bed sharing, baby-wearing mom (co-sleeping is how we solved the "hold the baby all night" problem). Right on!
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    There seems to be more and more of us out there omydaughter! I'm on Babycenter and it seems most women on there at least coslept for a while. Yay!
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    Oh, and I raised my activity level and set my loss at .5 lb per week, which gave me like 1850 calories to eat. Adding on the 500 from breastfeeding, and no wonder I've been hungry! I was aiming for more like 2000-2100. That extra 2-300 could be a lot!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It seems strange to me that some replies say "don't add this as exercise because it is part of the daily routine" but I know that people who take up walking everyday put that down as exercise.

It seems that you've found a good solution, but if you are walking your baby around to get her to go to sleep, I would think that could be counted as "walking at 2.5 mph" or even the "Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load" entry from the general exercise database. For a half hour of walking ranges from 105 calories to 130 calories, respectively.

Good luck. I don't have a baby so I can't offer any advice on breastfeeding.