Do bodies actually have a weight they "stick" at? Stuck

Options
So here's a little background info. I started my weightloss journey last year, I was never over weight I started out at 130lbs 17 years old and 5'7 , wanting to lose 5-10 pounds ( I have a pretty small frame) I started eating way too little around 1200 calories a day and worked out 5 times a week... Lost weight so quickly ( I know this was unhealthy but I was clueless at the time) and was happy but started getting sick of eating so little and started giving up and gained all the weight back plus more. I got more educated and started eating 1500-1600 calores a day and incorporating more weight training. Got back to 131 pounds easily but I can't seem to go down. Yes I know I am at a healthy weight but my preferred weight is 125 pounds, my weight may sound low to some but I know my body composition and where I store fat. When I was around 120 pounds I had a flat stomach which is my goal I have most of my fat in my stomach like many of you! What I am wondering is does yor body actually have w certain weight it wants to be? I currently still eat 1500-1700 a day , weigh all my food, track my macros, workout 3-4 times a week with my heart rate monotor and do weight training for 30 min and cardio for 20. Should I just give up counting calories and trying to lose weight? I feel If I try to bulk at this point I will just be more unhappy with my body because yes you do gain some muscle but you also gain some fat.. :/ would love anyone's tips! I have tried about everything I can think of! Should I just stick it out? I've been plateaued for 3-4 months! Someone also told me since I'm still a "teen" that I need more calories and my metablolism is messed up which I'm unsure about either

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary people may be able to help.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I doubt it.
    They do say the lesser amount you have to lose is usually the hardest.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The short answer is "no".

However, due to a lot of factors weight set points make a lot of sense. Weight will be maintained within a some limited bounds because as weight increases various factors (you burn more, etc) will have an tendency to increase energy needs. Or, as is more commonly discussed, these artificial "weight set points" are not even sided: it's easier to gain than it is to lose.

It's a complete scientific debate but not a reason why someone can't lose a few pounds.

First, relax, to succeed you also need to work on the mental and avoid "hate my body more" thinking. That will drive you to quit.

Second, as Sara says, open up your diary.

It usually is a question of
    1) "are you really eating the calories you think you are" can you you control them better?
    B) is the exercise you are doing really burning calories as you want?
    III) does weight actually matter as your goal seems to bf% (aka as flat stomach)

Why would stopping the calorie counting help?
  • millaxoxo
    Options
    How do I open up my diary? I shall! I thought it was already public
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For over 20 years I believed that my metabolism was messed up and that my body's weight it got stuck at was 260 lb.

Obviously untrue as I am now at 199 lb and still going.
  • millaxoxo
    Options
    I track all my food so I would say I couldn't do much better , I weigh everything and am kind of obsessed with it which isn't a good habit but it is one. I could eat better I guess but I would say my diet is 85-90% clean and if I restrict too Much I will binge and give up :/ ill have a small piece of chocolate or half a cookie everyday almost I doubt that is what is hurting me haha. And I use my polar watch and heart rate monitor while I workout which is pretty accurate. I also walk to and from the gym (7 blocks each way) and don't track those calories so I doubt it's that but it could be possible.. But either way I am still in a deficit so I don't nderstan why I am not losing :( and no! Body fat is my main goal I just get discouraged when the scale doesn't budge but I can get over that. If i weighed 150 pounds and looked how I wanted to I wouldn't care about the number obviously :)
  • millaxoxo
    Options
    That's great good for you! I will keep going but it has been 4-5 months with no change so it's a little upsetting
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Unless you are attempting to get lower than what is healthy, it is doubtful that your body is "stuck" in such a way that you won't be able to unstick it.

It is possible it has reached a point where it becomes harder to lose.

Look up "set point theory", I'm not sure I agree with it or not, but here is a basic definition of the theory:

"Set point theory is a theory that the body maintains its normal weight and body fat level with internal regulatory controls that dictate how much fat one has. According to the set point theory, some individuals have a high setting, meaning they tend to have a naturally higher weight as a set point, and others have a low set point, and therefore a naturally lower body weight.

The set point theory suggests that despite dieting efforts, the body tends to return to its set point weight, however regular, consistent exercise may help to adjust the natural set point."

from http://weightloss.about.com/od/glossary/g/setpoint.htm
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all solid food and measure all liquids? You could be understood.aging portion sizes.

Do you log every single thing you put in your mouth? Extremely important.

Where are you getting your calorie estimations from? You have logged "gym" as being around 300 calories for an about 40 minute workout? If this is cardio, it might be accurate. If it's weight lifting, probably no accurate. Something to look at is possible overestimation of exercise calories.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to believe in set point, but scientifically I just can't. A few years ago I lost 100 pounds and have maintained at my current weight of 186ish (I'm 5'10") for 2-3 years now. I have dipped as low as 174 but that was through extreme measures just to see hte number. The highest I got was 197 - and I let loose for several months. I mean worked out only 3 days/wk compared to the normal 5-6, ran less, ate more, drank more etc. It was "work" to add those pounds.

My body easily maintains around 186 but I'm sure that's because I also easily eat a lot of calories and burn them off through distance running.

Now that I'm tracking honestly, getting accurate calorie counts for intake and burns, and not bingeing or drinking a crap ton on the weekend I'm seeing results. You do have to be completely honest with yourself in order for it to work. I'm confident that I could maintain at 186 the rest of my life with minimal effort thinking about it. However, I'm 12 lbs overweight so I have no desire to do that.

Reevaluate everything you are entering. Make sure you aren't double entering - i.e. entering once on MFP and then also having your device do it a second time> I assume if this were the case someone else would hae pointed it out....
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I ate anything and everything I wanted until about 6 years ago and stayed within a pound or two of 147 and size 8. I slowly crept up to about 157 and a size 10 and didn't like it but never really tried to diet. I held the 155-7 pretty steady for lets say the last 4 years. Then after christmas the scale said YIKES..162 and my 10's were tight. So, i decided to change my diet and loose weight. So the answer I think is yes, your body likes a certain weight.
  • millaxoxo
    Options
    The only liquids I drink are water and green tea (unsweetened ) But I do weigh my balsamic vinegar when I use it same with almond milk and like I said, I weigh all my fruits, meats, everything! And I usually do half cardio half strength training and I use my heart rate monitor which is pretty accurate so yes my calories burned are correct. Maybe off by 50 due to the watch