Home Gym - any ideas for exercises?

Options
Hi,

My daughter has just been given a York 2001 home multi-gym with a pec attachment (second hand, with no instructions). I would like to use it but have no idea how to! She also has a Concept 2 rower and a squat rack with an Olympic bar and weights. (I used to have a dining room - now I have a gym! LOL)

I'm 53 and have never done much exercise. I can't even lift my daughter's Olympic bar! so you can see how unfit I am.

Does anyone have any ideas for a routine that I could start to try to build a bit of muscle?

Or does anyone know where I can get something like a wall chart showing what exercises I can do on this gym equipment?

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd advice first following a low impact fitness video. I use Youtube, which can be a great free resource for such things.
    If you search for Fitness Blender Low Impact, you'll find the ones I use :)
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Youtube is also great for watching how other people use gym equipment correctly. I sometimes see people using gym equipment at the gym in totally the wrong way and it makes me grimace at the damage they could cause.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    Thanks Lauren,

I'm really looking for an exercise chart or routine that I can use on the multigym. I've found programs for the rower and I haven't yet got into the weight lifting with the squat rack, etc. but would like some idea how to use the multigym as I think this might be something I could do.

I want to do it properly which is why I'm asking for help. I might have to wait until the US wakes up though!
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    Bump?
  • BMD_DOG
    BMD_DOG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation of Fitness Blender videos. No - or minimal - equipment needed. And it's free!
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Can your daughter show you how?

start simple and google or you tube videos on what you have.

Check out fitness sites.

Maybe check out the manufacture's website or helpline for information?

I cant help you more, I use free weights
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    Yea I could sit here and rattle off a million and one different exercises you could do but just search youtube and fitness sites that show video with your particular workout equip model like the other posts here suggest and youll get a nice visual of what to do. Good luck!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Typically does thing come with a poster size display of a bunch of exercises you can do using the machine. With that said, I recommend bodyweight training instead. If you are mobile at all, start with a 3x a week beginner bodyweight routine. There are many online you can choose from and being from the NF Rebellion haha, may I recommend the beginner's bodyweight routine from there. It also includes a video of the routine:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you find any difficulties with any of the exercises, there is always an easier way to do them, and always a way to increase the difficulty, if needed.

Your nutrition will make or break any goals you have , whether it be weight loss or weight gain. At the end of the day, when it comes to exercises, do what you can and do what you enjoy.

best of luck
  • lazzymomma
    lazzymomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    abv.gif?m=1309298033
  • adam356
    adam356 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    here are the exercise charts for the york 2001 gym,i have attached them