Back again needing some motivation!

Options
Zampa13
Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
I have returned after a lengthy break from here.

I am now the largest Ive been in over 10 years, I had an accident last May and have been off work and pretty much house bound since it happened and so have not had my usual 4 mile round trip everyday to and from work on top of my usual team sport excercise. I am on my way out to buy some new trousers/pants because I have out grown everything so that feels like the final punch in the gut.

I know that this is going to be a long and hard slog and I need to get my mind in order.

So Ive taken what I think are first steps...

- Came back here
- Started a diet plan
- Signed up for a free trial of a 1 hour intense excercise class (In mind to continue afterwards)

I am hopefully returning to work soon and Im absolutly dreading the looks when they see how much weight Ive gained.

Any tips to make this not feel like such a mountain to climb?!

Replies

• jackie2502
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have had a tough time, my only advice is to take a photo, I took mine on 3rd January and I shall take it again next month to see how my body has changed hopefully for the better, sometimes the scales are not the only answer, how you see yourself is also very important, good luck x:flowerforyou:
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, think I know how you feel, I'm in the same position after injury due to strain and inflammation. The way I have wrapped my mind around it is by setting the challenge in the repeat performance, if not better. If you can do it once, you can do it again! Why not? I see it as mind training. All the best. :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your accident. That's tough. Good for you for jumping back in. Here is what worked when I started climbing my own mountain:

eat at a healthy calorie deficit from your TDEE
    weigh/measure/log every bite you take - every day
    eat a normal diet - don't demonize foods - LEARN MODERATION
    find something you like to do and then do it consistently
    have a ton of patience
    don't quit

Most people fail because they get too restrictive with calories or with food and can not maintain. Make your plan something you could do for the rest of your life, on one foot, with one had tied behind your back. Good luck!!
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with the one hour intense work out class. It might be too high in intensity for a starting point, and might be more suitable for intermediate.

Other than that, try to think of all the current ailments you face as of today. Do you feel bloated all the time or in some areas? Does your skin feel oily or have a shine to it? Do your thighs rub together uncomfortably when you move? Any high blood pressure or cholesterol or diabetes medications? Do you feel like a failure?

These things can be fixed by diet and exercise (for the most part anyway). You can let these be your motivation to better your health.

After a couple of weeks of eating healthy you'll start to notice healthy food actually tastes pretty good. Try various vegetables and fruits. Look up new recipes to work with. Let this be a fun adventure. Most importantly, remember you're worth every step of effort to better your life and a year from now you'll be thankful of the hard work.

If you're looking for further motivation try looking at the Success Stories board. I personally enjoy watching The Biggest Loser as a way to unwind the day and build motivation. I also write a journal, take photos, and record all successes (not just inches and pounds).

If it still seems too daunting for you, try giving yourself a one month trial. For one month you must work your hardest at exercise and food changes. That way you can find will power to tell yourself, "I can avoid french fries today and eat broccoli instead because in two weeks I will be done with this and can have french fries again." Whether or not you actually revert back your lifestyle is up to you. :) But I find having smaller time periods -- rather than saying the rest of my life -- helps me find the power to push through things I don't want to do.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

For one month you must work your hardest at exercise and food changes. That way you can find will power to tell yourself, "I can avoid french fries today and eat broccoli instead because in two weeks I will be done with this and can have french fries again."

Most of your advice is okay, except this. If you make big changes in your diet and never learn to eat in moderation - you will probably fail. Telling yourself this is for a short time is also the wrong mindset. This is something you have to be able to do for the rest of your life. Learning to eat the foods you enjoy IN MODERATION is crucial to being successful. If I thought I could never have a chocolate chip cookie again - I'd quit too. In learning to figure correct portions of foods I like, I can have one of two cookies a day and still stay within my calorie allowance. 80% of my diet is healthy foods. But I still eat the things I love. This is the way normal people eat. That's what you have to learn.
    08782021 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with beachlover and Darrelkun's point about focusing on your health. This is a big motivator for me. Even when I wane a bit or see no change on the scale I know that by sticking to exercise and trying to eat well most of the time my body will thank me, now and in the future. My father recently passed from cancer (he was still quite fit) and my mother is overweight and smokes heavily. Healthy eating and exercise are powerful weapons against many deadly health concerns. My health is my big motivator. Also I like to take my measurements once a week, loosing is very motivating!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Welcome back - request on its way!

:flowerforyou:
  • Zampa13
    Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and positivity.

Changing my mindset toward food and excercise is going to be tough but I ready.

I have my partner on board too so that feels like half the battle won!