Too few calories?

Options
wannakimmy
wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
Is it possible to eat too few calories per day... I've heard that my body will store all that I give it if I cut too much too fast. I've been at this new lifestyle for a couple weeks now and feel I am doing well. I usually have between 500 and 1000 calories available at the end of my day. I am eating much healthier foods and am not hungry. Do I need to adjust something? I've also been exercising 3 to 4 times a week, which gives me calories back. I don't want to use them either... what do you all think?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Weight?
    Height?
    Calories per day?
    Exercise?
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal builds in a calorie deficit to your day, so if you cut additional calories, and don't eat your exercise calories back, you are not eating enough. It's okay to not eat all your exercise calories back, but you should try to eat at least 1/2 of them back. Also make sure you're never eating under 1200.
  • wannakimmy
    Options
    I'm at 325 lbs 5'4 Myfitnesspal gives me 2510 calories per day. I have been swimming, burning around 750 calories. I don't want to eat if i'm not hungry, I want to lose weight in a healthy manner. I was consuming probably close to 5500 calories a day before I started here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Eat the calories you're allotted.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    eat your allotted calories. your body needs fuel...stop punishing it and feed it right!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Eat the calories you're allotted.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

This is my 1st 'New Years' here... and I can't believe the # of posts about eating rEdiculous ( internet spelling :smile: ) low calories....

Is everyone waking up Jan 1, and suddenly dropping from 5,000 calories per day to 600 ?

Is there a really good post / thread, somewhere, that we can just link to or copy / paste, explaining why this is such a bad idea, and is destined for failure?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eat all your allotted calories & make sure you are getting sufficient protein (1 gram/pound lean body mass, or at least 100-125 grams/day). You want to burn fat not lean muscle mass!
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You have some considerable weight to lose so you will be able to eat less and not hit the dreaded plateau for a while. However, you should eat at least your BMR to lose at a much healthier pace that will help you keep it off.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

According to this site you should eat....Net..... at LEAST 2100 cal per day!! You do not have to eat back all your exercise calories, but think of your body like a car - it needs fuel. MFP already included the deficit so it allows for you to eat back your exercise calories while remaining at a deficit. I'd suggest you eat at least 1/2 your exercise calories back to make sure you have the energy to get you though the next workout.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm at 325 lbs 5'4 Myfitnesspal gives me 2510 calories per day. I have been swimming, burning around 750 calories. I don't want to eat if i'm not hungry, I want to lose weight in a healthy manner. I was consuming probably close to 5500 calories a day before I started here.

Since you have extra weight for fuel, I wouldn't worry about eating back your exercise cals. 2500 is a good starting point, if you are able to stick with that for now. If you need a bit extra, then you can eat back some of your exer cals.
    If you are losing at a healthy rate, don't worry about it.
    After you lose weight, (10-20 lbs) updates your goals, as your calorie level will decrease as you get smaller. Your weight loss rate will also start to slow down some, so don't get discouraged when it does.

A lot of this is trial and error. You will figure out what works for you over time. Just stick with it and head for a healthier you!:flowerforyou:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, hunger can be one of the less reliable cues to tell you that you're getting enough to eat. Your body sends out the hormones that control hunger partially out of habit. If you stop feeding it for a prolonged time it will stop telling you to get hungry. It's one reason a lot of underweight people claim not to feel hunger. Performance, mood, energy levels, and other physical cues like skin and nails have to be taken into account too.

That's one of the perks of the slow and steady diet plans like MFP. You're essentially retraining your body how to eat, when to get hungry, and what to crave. Right now you're in a gray area. Undereating will hurt you a lot less than it would hurt someone my size because you have adequate fat stores that your body can break down. As you lose weight you may find that eating so little is counterproductive.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Eat your allotted calories and enjoy them. As you get thinner, you'll need to recalculate, and you'll get less calories. If you don't want to eat back your exercise calories, it's totally fine for now, as you're already eating plenty of calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've heard that my body will store all that I give it if I cut too much too fast.

No, that's not true.
  • wannakimmy
    Options
    Many of you seem to have the same answer. I will work at eating all of the calories, and adding more protein. I am happy to leave the calories gained through exercise alone. Thanks for all the input!