Body Evaluation

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So last night I had a free meeting with a personal trainer or did a body evaluation of me:
Weight:129
Height:5'
Body Fat: 29%
Weight I should be: 113
Calories I should be eating:1257(so mfp is right on)

SOOOO I need to loose like 16 pounds.

Replies

• rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    how does he get to a weight you "should be"? i'm surprised he/she doesn't just concentrate on other goals like increasing muscle mass or lowering body fat percentage, etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    At your height, 113 isn't unreasonable. However, I've learned that the vast majority of personal trainers are great at giving you exercises to do, but not so great at any of the rest of it.

And if the PT used the calipers for body fat, that number is probably not accurate.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    It's great that you had a body evaluation, but if I were you I'd focus more on BF% than an actual goal weight. Just keep working out and eating right and you'll get there. Personal trainers aren't trained to give advice about calorie intake/ideal weight. I'd say shoot for low 20s for BF% and see where it leads you. Good luck!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    WELL HE HOOKED ME UP TO A MACHINE THAT CALCULATED EVERYTHING AND THEN HE WEIGHED ME.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    i say focus on more than just one number. use every number to gauge success. :)
  • not all trainers are equal in training and education there are a few different types of degrees they can earn and a certificate is different.
    I think it was a good idea to get evaluated and keep your goal realistic.

edit I am thinking about doing that the next time my gym offers it.
This discussion has been closed.