Conflicting Reports for Diet and Weight loss

Options
Not sure if anyone caught this article: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/super-dieters-share-6-weight-loss-tips-120337292--abc-news-topstories.html

Though it seems to conflict with most things I and I'm sure a lot of people have been told.

Rule No. 1. Don't ever cheat. They never give themselves a break, not even on holidays or weekends. (Most of us have been told it's ok to have a cheat day so which is it?)

Rule No. 3. Get on a scale every day. (Most of been told to not get on the scale everyday, I know I have. I imagine anyone doing strength training will seem to be putting on weight if they check everyday)

Rule No. 4. Put in the equivalent of a four-mile walk seven days a week. (This may not be as hard as it seems but I was told you should at least rest 1-2 days a week)

Rules 2, 5, 6 matches everything else I have been told. Wouldn't it be nice just to eat healthier, eat less if you have to eat bad, and work out 30 minutes a day doing any exercise you please? Instead of eat more fruit except apples to much sugar, or better yet never have sugar again, do cardio then weights, switch up the routine blah blah blah. Why can't we just eat better, less, and getting activity in just be enough? Rant over.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Those are things successful MAINTAINERS do, on average. Some of the habits apply better to maintenance. Weighing daily while losing can be misleading but while maintaining, most people then are used to the normal ups and downs and can tell when their overall average is creeping up.

Also, there isn't one good way. You can have cheat days or not, walk or not, eat breakfast or not. Those maintainers' habits don't even necessarily mean the habits are instrumental in maintaining, just that the type of people who stick to hard and fast 'healthy habits' are also the type of people to not let their weight creep back up. There is some causation (walking will burn calories) but for some others it's just correlation (like eating breakfast isn't very relevant, except in a psychological sense of starting the day off 'right', for many.)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Rule No. 1. Don't ever cheat. They never give themselves a break, not even on holidays or weekends.

Rule No. 2. Eat breakfast. The National Weight Control Registry shows that's one of the most common traits of those who succeed in keeping those pounds off once and for all.

Rule No. 3. Get on a scale every day.

Rule No. 4. Put in the equivalent of a four-mile walk seven days a week.

Rule No. 5. Watch less than half as much TV as the overall population.

Rule No. 6. Eat 50 to 300 calories less than most people.

1) depends on how you arrange your calorie deficit for the week. Some people plan well so that they can have a "cheat" meal by staying a little under their calories and/or getting in some extra exercise when they know an event/holiday is coming up where they want to indulge.

2) everyone's different on this one as well but I personally find breakfast to be beneficial. I used to skip breakfast thinking I'd save the calories but the problem was I would more than make up for it once my hunger kicked in and I snacked on junk all afternoon. Now I sort of graze all day and it works well for me.

3) I agree with this. Some people shouldn't weigh every day because those fluctuations affect them emotionally. some people, like myself, find it a good way to keep an eye on progress. I know strength training, monthly hormonal cycle, sodium intake, etc all affect the number so it doesn't disturb me to see a slight uptake.

4) I think this is the same as that 10,000 steps a day advice. It's good to try to become more active by doing normal day-to-day things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away, etc. Not necessarily for weight loss but for health. Most of us sit far too much so it's good for you to get in as many extra movements as possible.

5 and 6 are kind of vague and odd...I kind of get the point but they're not very specific. For #5 - if you're still sitting and playing on the computer or reading what's the difference? It's pretty much the same advice as #4 IMHO. #6 - who are "most people" and how much do they eat?
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do all those things and have been quite successful. Rearranging your calories to afford a cheat meal means it is not a cheat meal. Eating all your calories and then eating whatever you want would be a cheat meal. But it all varies per person and their individual preferences; are you on a diet and once you reach your goal will go back to the way you were eating or are you changing your lifestyle to be healthier.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    Rule No. 1. Don't ever cheat. They never give themselves a break, not even on holidays or weekends.

Rule No. 2. Eat breakfast. The National Weight Control Registry shows that's one of the most common traits of those who succeed in keeping those pounds off once and for all.

1) depends on how you arrange your calorie deficit for the week. Some people plan well so that they can have a "cheat" meal by staying a little under their calories and/or getting in some extra exercise when they know an event/holiday is coming up where they want to indulge.

2) everyone's different on this one as well but I personally find breakfast to be beneficial. I used to skip breakfast thinking I'd save the calories but the problem was I would more than make up for it once my hunger kicked in and I snacked on junk all afternoon. Now I sort of graze all day and it works well for me.

3) I agree with this. Some people shouldn't weigh every day because those fluctuations affect them emotionally. some people, like myself, find it a good way to keep an eye on progress. I know strength training, monthly hormonal cycle, sodium intake, etc all affect the number so it doesn't disturb me to see a slight uptake.

4) I think this is the same as that 10,000 steps a day advice. It's good to try to become more active by doing normal day-to-day things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away, etc. Not necessarily for weight loss but for health. Most of us sit far too much so it's good for you to get in as many extra movements as possible.

5 and 6 are kind of vague and odd...I kind of get the point but they're not very specific. For #5 - if you're still sitting and playing on the computer or reading what's the difference? It's pretty much the same advice as #4 IMHO. #6 - who are "most people" and how much do they eat?

I found 5 and 6 a bit odd too. I just eat under my calorie goal, so I'm sure I'm doing fine.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    I do all those things and have been quite successful. Rearranging your calories to afford a cheat meal means it is not a cheat meal. Eating all your calories and then eating whatever you want would be a cheat meal. But it all varies per person and their individual preferences; are you on a diet and once you reach your goal will go back to the way you were eating or are you changing your lifestyle to be healthier.

I am TRYING to change my life to be healthier, no guarantee it will work because I "tried" before. Before I lost 14 pounds and was doing good. It was to the point I couldn't eat certain junk food because I will get sick. I wish to get back to that. Once I lose 20 pounds I think I will be on the fast track to wear I need to go.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    4 mile walk isnt really that much. since they say the equivalent of that much i assume they also mean during your daily activity. stuff like taking the steps instead of the escalator, walking places instead of driving, parking further from entrances, etc can easily add up to that many steps during the day.

i also think a lot of these tips are mainly for maintenance especially the weighing every day

also there isnt 1 right way to lose weight. the right way will be the one you can stick with to lose the weight and will allow you to maintain your weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to be quite honestly.

No cheating... It's easier to stay on track than to go back on track after a cheat day. Just look at all the 'I'm so mad at myself for cheating' posts here. Bottom line is that if you can't handle a cheat day... don't cheat. I'll have to add though, most people don't log their food. With a diary I can 'cheat' without it being cheating, by making extra calories for things etc. If I didn't have a diary, I would either feel horribly guilty about 'cheating' and it would go down from there (the 'I've ruined my diet anyway' mentality), or I wouldn't feel guilty, say I can afford it, then start making it a habit... and it would go down from there. So yeah, without logging, cheating is probably way more dangerous... Just my opinion though.

Breakfast, dunno, it depends for everyone. I never had breakfast when I was obese (except once in a while). But then I was starving at 11am and eating everything in sight. Dunno what's worse. But again... I wasn't logging, so I couldn't make sure I ate within my calories.

Scale, definitely, I stopped weighing, had nothing to keep me back on track (easier to be in denial). Same obviously with not walking. Moved from France, where I walked 2 hours a day, to the US, where I drove everywhere, didn't change much in my diet, and gained 50 lbs in 5 years. TV made no difference to me, if anything I watch way more of it now.

Bottom line, lots of those things are probably more accurate for people who don't log. But again, just my opinion.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    another thing about the cheating : i wonder if people not seeing higher calorie days as not cheating as something to do with the concept of no cheating?

i would wager a guess that the majority of people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off were able to get the idea of bad and good foods out of their heads as well as placing value judgments on their eating.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Looks like a hard path for adherence considering most people beat themselves up when they slip up.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

-for weight loss I did alternate day IF, where I alternated high calorie days with low calorie days. Because of this I never had any urge to go off plan or eat above my plan's calorie alottments (within a few calories).
    -for maintenance, I still alternate higher/lower days, out of habit. This allows me to have 4,000 calorie day weekends and still maintain beautifully :)

-I break my fast sometimes earlier in the day, other times not until noon or 1pm. Just depends if I feel hungry in the morning or not.

I have done this for both phases. It's my number one maintenance strategy and I keep track of the weigh ins on a graph.

I didn't do any exercise at all while losing weight. Now that I'm in maintenance I do 20-30 minutes a day/5-6 days a week (averaging 2.5 hours a week right now)

Don't even have a tv hooked up and haven't for years. But, we shall not talk about the internet. Ever. :laugh:

For maintenance I actually eat quite a few calories-2,250-2,500 a day.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yup that seems right (this literally the best advice I read from an article), but it is very strict, and if you have the determination you could make it work for you. I am also here to lose weight and I do a 4mile walk (sometimes more) 5 times a week. its not hard in a matter of fact its very relaxing and I think good for my brain.

I am also aiming to become a better runner.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Maintenance calories are higher than when we're trying to run a deficit to lose, so a cheat day isn't necessary any more (hopefully).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rule No. 1. Don't ever cheat. They never give themselves a break, not even on holidays or weekends. (Most of us have been told it's ok to have a cheat day so which is it?)
    Most people, most of the time, are going to be better off having zero cheat days. The problem is way too many people treat cheat days as "anything goes", and one such day a week can undo pretty much an entire week's worth of "reasonable" deficits.

There are exceptions, but until you prove you are one by actually losing a whack of weight, assume you are not.
    Rule No. 3. Get on a scale every day. (Most of been told to not get on the scale everyday, I know I have.
    Completely agree. In fact, I weight twice a day, morning and evening. I control the scale - not the other way 'round.
    Rule No. 4. Put in the equivalent of a four-mile walk seven days a week. (This may not be as hard as it seems but I was told you should at least rest 1-2 days a week)
    Assuming that is intended as bare minimum, I agree. Nobody needs "rest days" from such low activity levels. Everybody should be able to do a 5k run, seven days a week.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone caught this article: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/super-dieters-share-6-weight-loss-tips-120337292--abc-news-topstories.html

Though it seems to conflict with most things I and I'm sure a lot of people have been told.

That really speaks more to the unreliability of what passes for "common wisdom".
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Bump