Minimum for Logging Cardio?

Options
I just started a few days ago, and to help keep myself from feeling overwhelmed about 30 whole minutes on that devil machine I call the elliptical, I just do whatever I feel like. Sometimes, 5 minutes. Sometimes, 15 minutes.

But, I just read on another fitness site that "Cardio can be beneficial in 10 minute increments."

So, are my 5 minute workouts not beneficial? Should I not log my cardio if I only do 5 minutes at a time?

Replies

• fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You should log whatever excercise you do but I would suggest that you try to increase your cardio with each workout until you can sustain at least a 20-30 minute go on the elliptical. Any amount of cardio you do can be beneficial. Depending on your fitness and weight loss goals, a longer cardio workout could prove to be more effective.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you hate the elliptical that much, try finding a different form of exercise that you can sustain. 5 minutes is better then nothing but it's not going to do much for you in terms of fitness.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing, definitely, so any start is fine. Be honest with yourself and your logging - and be aware that MFP's calorie burn estimates for cardio items are way off, so don't expect to be burning a lot either.

If, from a fitness perspective, you can do more than 5 or 10 minutes, then perhaps picking a different cardio workout would be better? Something that fits with you. If all you really feel you can do is 5 or 10, then start there, work it as hard as you can for that time and work on gradually increasing as your fitness levels increase.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you hate the elliptical that much, try finding a different form of exercise that you can sustain. 5 minutes is better then nothing but it's not going to do much for you in terms of fitness.

I totally agree. You obviously don't like this and it's not likely you will stick to it if you can't stand it. Find something that you enjoy and then work your way up to 30 minutes. Personally, I can't stand cardio machines of any kind, so I do other things such as Turbo Fire, walking, hiking, biking, and roller blading in the summer. I used to swim laps but got burned out. Do what you love, and it won't feel like a chore!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Every little bit counts. Park in the back of the parking lot, take the stairs, get on the elliptical during commercial breaks... It's all good.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The other site is wrong, every single minute has benefits. However, as far as getting the cardiovascular benefits from your exercise you to need to elevate your heart rate and sustain the elevated heart rate, which is hard to do in less than 5 minutes.

You've only been doing it a couple days, just do what you can, you'll get there. If nothing else, the 5 minute workouts are beneficial in working towards longer workouts. But the calorie burn counts, too.
  • SunnyCoons
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! That helps. It's not so much that I hate the elliptical... it's that I hate it ALL! LOL! I wanna be a lazy slug and eat bon-bons all day and still hang on to my sexy. (A girl's gotta dream!)

But, this is all about changing my behaviors, which I don't think I'll be able to do overnight. I need to lose weight. Full stop. I did 15 minutes straight this morning, and will do another 15-20 tonight. That, plus sticking to the recommended net calories - I'm hoping will get me there in the next 6 months or so.

So, I'll try to make it a point to keep it up for at least 10 minutes everytime (even though I might be able to do more), and after the first week or so, I'll keep it up for at least 15 minutes everytime, and so on. I know I CAN! :)